VIRUS WARNING

rob iles

Just thought i would let you know that NTL broadband sent me the Blaster worm virus. :arse: Apparently it is affecting

everyone using XP nationwide,also Freeserve and AOL are

also affected. So please makesure you have up to date

antivirus , not being a computer whiz i found out the hard way. :0

Just a freindly warning.

rob

I think you'll find some people on here have already found it the hard way Rob  ???   ;)

BTW: to really stop this one happening again you also need to update your copies of Windows with the latest security patches from Microshaft - there's about 20MB of them  :D  :0 more info here

peterg  , only just back on line at 6pm today. i bought a new puter friday,played with it sat sun,loading various softwares

got the worm Mon tue wed. Of course there was no antivirus

software with my package :arse: (thanks Tiny)  :sheep:

cheers for the updates. rob

Yes im one of them who had to find out the hard way got the other day had to make a program to get rid of it didnt work so i found one on the net so if anyone wants the tool to get rid of it and fix what it has done let me know i can send through e-mail good luck scott ..

A word to the wise...

Anti-virus software is the cure to this particular worm, prevention is better - get a Firewall.  Particularly if you have broadband and especially if you leave the modem(sic) on all the time.

Anti-virus software will protect you against viruses that arrive in e-mails, or files that you download - a firewall won't help here.  A firewall stops other people, or programs, identifying your PC and pushing programs onto it w/out you knowing e.g. the Blaster worm.

Sorry if this is phrased a bit seriously  :D   but many people do not understand the distinction between these two different bits of s/ware and they do different jobs.

PS  A tip to stop those annoying pop-ups, turn off Windows Messenger.

Cheers,

and as I've said elsewhere, my wife is a senior software consultant for McAfee so if you need advice about how to use AV or Firewall software or info connected with either then let me know  ;)

PS: and unofficially she says Zonealarm as a 'free' firewall is OK  ;)  :D