IT help needed Wednesday am

Westfieldman

Can one of the IT experts ring me at home  07970 916076 as my pc has had/got the virus thingy and may need some help. this post is from work so sending E-mails and pm's is a waste of time as i am not back here till 11pm Wednesday.

I have reinstalled the Windows XP and hope to set up the cable modem and try to do the E-mail myself but may need some help as it was a year ago since i last had to do anything like this

Blatters say's the lost files may still be on the hard drive and recoverable although I said yes yes yes I did not realy understand how to do this if involes lots of money it will have to say lost and how do i get a copy of my web site back from the web as my last back up disc is a long time out of date.

Thanks Paul.

I got your message at home Paul. Unfortunately, I had to go out straight from work. Not sure where Blatgirl was..... ???

Anyhoo, if you're still at work and reading this Symantec have a fix, and other instructions.

I'm a bit confused though, 'cos it says that Win98 is safe from this worm. IIRC, you said it was Win98 that got infected ???

No the machine came with 98 and that is what gatweay will help me with for free but I have put XP pro over the top

I have now got it working in a fashion don't know for how long though

Ntl's home page had a link to a sort of fix as it appears that the XP fire wall is not turned on automaticaly then it was off to the link to microsoft to fix it [hope so]

Paul the cry for help still stands as this is toooooo deep for me [just a fitter]

Paul.

Removed the virus with Blaters' link and I had already done the patch

But I rang my Mam and Dad to warn the this was going around to have my mam ask me whats this little box that turns my laptop every time i turn it on Oh s**t thats two to fix.

Paul.

Greg the AVG one was the one I had/have and it was up to date if you look on NTL's home page there is a link to how it got in etc.

Paul.

seriously though, if you need any help removing a virus etc. I know someone who is a senior software consultant at said company and spends her working life showing people how to use anti-virus and firewall products  ;)  :cool:

what does this virus do? and how long has it been about? about 2 weeks ago, my hard drive on my laptop packed in. It refuses to get past the BIOS stage before it says hard disk error. have bought a new PC, because the cost of a new hard disk is £120 for a 40 gig! will have to wait untill i have some money to repair it.

cheers

mike

On my machine it went to the deck top then a window [the size of 20's box] poped up and said then it needed to close/and the PC resterted and this just repeted over and over again

You had 59 seconds to open and fix it or try to in my case.

Greg my web site is now backed up on a CD thanks

Anyone got a revovery disc/program to try and recover the lost data from my hard drive if its still there.

Paul.

Hi

Not sure we are on the same virus, but the last one "blaster" could have been stopped with uppgrading windows. It uses a backdoor and a fix has been out since middle of july. So even with virus and firewalls look at your windows updates to.

Regards

Conco