Bugger!!!!!

chazpowerslide

Took two weeks off work to finish the car.

The plan was simple, treat it as a job, 9-5, 5 days per week.

40 hours per week, two weeks 80 hours.

Job done, car booked for MOT today.

The reality.

Started at 7am every day for 14 days.

Finished at midnight every day for 14 days.

17 hours per day for 14 days.

238 hours.

I spent days driving around the country picking up bits.

I spent days on the 'phone ordering bits and then returning them 'cos they were wrong.

I spent hours and hours renovating, fabricating, painting and riviting.

The Aluminum panels took almost 40 hours to cut, file and shape (the dash panel alone took 6 hours)

The result was that by Sunday 10/08/03 I'd failed........

I still have to do:

1) Make up the interior side panels (and get them powder coated)

2) Fit the seats

3) Fit the dash panel

4) Assemble and wire in the headlamps (I had the lamp bodies powder coated)

5) Fit the harneses.

6) Bolt on the Webers and Filter King.

7) Fit the screen.

8) MOT.

Not ready for MOT.

FAILED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEEEEEEED to be finished in time for the Goodwood Revival weekend two weeks hence.

Chaz.

Goodwood Revival is not until 5/6/7 September so you have at least 23 days left to finish it  ;)  :D

At least it sounds like you havent been tempted to take short cuts just to finish it. :t-up:

90% of the car takes 10% of the time, the other 10% of the car takes 90% of the time..... :angry:

You havent failed, there is still time...... :)

Good luck mate, Stu.

I must admit that the temptation to just get it through the MOT was really strong but the MOT is not the by all and end all of the build.

All things being as they are (continually short of time) I probhably would'nt get round to finishing off te bits I'd made good just for the MOT.

Looking back over the last two weeks of time and effort and money (s**t loads of money) I decided that the last part of the re-build must justify the preceding two years of hard graft to get the result I need.

Yes Stu you'r totally right, the last 10% to get it just right will take the real time.

I've likened it to decorating a room.

Nothing seems to happen for ages while you do all the prep, it seems to take a major leap forward when the colour goes on the wall and seems to stand still again whilst you do all the detail to finish it.

Still, it looks the dogs danglies and I hav'nt started the engine yet.!!!!!

I suppose it's a lot less work if you buy a kit rather than do a re-build and make everything yourself.

To be honest I expected this and I've really enjoyed the build and associated work as much as I'll enjoy driving the car (as long as it's ready for the revival........)