• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Ball Joints

jos

I am having serious difficulty undoing the nut that secures the steering hub to the ball joint that connects to the anti roll bar at the front of my donor sierra.

Ive managed to get the rhs off with ease as well as the steering to hub ball joint but this one is being a right PITA.

Ive tried removing the 'bellow' and clamping the joint with pliars but no luck, it just spins and am hoping that one of you may be able to help.  Is there a tool that will compress the ball joint into its socket that will enable me to use a spanner to undo the nut.  If there is, how do I get the nut off when it gets to the top of the thread??????

You may have to saw it off and get new one

You should be able to use either a balljoint removal tool which is prised in & will lock the balljoint in position with enough pressure, or use a nut splitter and just replace the nut after.

hth,

Mark.

Alternatively if you dont have these tools sometimes you can bash the balljoint with a hammer and get it to lock enough to undo the nut.

You shouldn't need to keep the nuts as the Sierra bottom ball joint isn't re-used. Just cut/split it off and hit it. My biggest problem was removing the bolt that holds the suspension strut in place, I spent a morning at a local scrappy seeing how many I could snap the heads off.

Fair enough, looks like the "force" wins this time.  

Now wheres that hammer.

No actually I'll probably try nut splitter then hack saw.  Homebase here I come

Thanks for the help