How do I start racing??

firecracker

Hi guys

I wanna start racing my westie in hillclimb events.  I know nothing about how you actually get into these events and I am on a tight budget!!  So my question is HOW??  :t-up:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• Frau Vesty

• Blatman

• vesty

Go to the WSCC home page www.wscc.co.uk  Click on the button on the left side marked Speed Series.  Scroll down the page until you find a link for "Beginners Guide to Sprinting" (this also covers hillclimbs).  Read, apply, enjoy!

I'm hoping to compete next year too, and with a similar budget!!

See you there. :D

We (well, Westy) has just done his first season sprinting in the Speed series, here are some general tips from me in addition to the good stuff in the beginners guide...

*Buy the best lid/overalls etc you can afford, particularly lid.  As has been said before, you only have one head and one layer of skin (well technically you have more than 1 layer of skin but let's not dwell on that here).  

Make sure you carefully check the relevant BS type numbers, don't rely on shop staff to tell you that it's ok (particuarly if you go to a motorcycle shop for your lid - most bike lids aren't sufficient as they don't have fire protection, given that in the event of a motorbike crash you do not finish strapped inside your bike...)...you don't want to go spending your hard earned cash on stuff only to discover it's not adequate for sprints/hillclimbs.  

The numbers can be quite hard to find on some lids, Westy's snell number is well hidden in the inside lining, but do check yourself that the equipment you are buying is marked with the appropriate numbers.

*Once you have registered for the speed series, your details will go on a mailing list which gets sent to the organisers of each event.  You should then automatically get sent copies of regs/application forms for each event.  A list of the event organisers is contained in the WSCC regs and the blue book contains the contact details (I think).  These tend to be very useful if you are like us and lose things as soon as they arrive through the letterbox (also if you see on the boardroom that people are applying for something and you don't recall seeing the form arrive)...

Also if you have good internet availability, lots of them have email contacts and some have downloadable application forms.  If you are on a really tight budget, remember that you can send off a cheque for £80 or so at the start of the year and it might not get banked until the application closing date (usually a few weeks before the event).  Easy to forget about and you can suddenly find your bank account lighter than you were expecting all that time later...

Also sometimes a car club runs several events each year, and may send out all the application forms in one booklet (some of which won't be events attended by the WSCC) so it can be quite easy to overlook one.  For example, this year, the same club did 3 sisters in April and October.  Because we didn't apply for the April one, we put the stuff aside, not realising that it also contained the October application forms...      

*2004 events generally cost between £65 and £90 a pop, I reckon most were in the £75 to £85 region.  Sounds a lot of money for just a few minutes on track, heck, it is a lot of money for just a few minutes on track, but I'm sure that everyone who does it will tell you that it is well worth it!  The whole day, the atmosphere, the social scene, the adrenaline rush of the competition, the pit babes...

*Don't forget to factor in other costs:

- fuel for travelling to/from events.  Some brave souls drive their Westies to/from the circuits, most tend to trailer them so they know they can get home safely if they have an off/break something in another way!  Obviously trailering it adds to the fuel costs.  

- overnight accommodation - If you live a long way from the event, check out whether you can camp at or near the circuit.  Sometimes it will say so in the regs you receive (always look for the magic words "shower block"  ;) ), if you're not sure, ask on the boardroom, someone is bound to know!  Camping/kipping in car is obviously a good way of keeping costs down but may not be terribly popular with your wife/girlfriend/partner/significant other if you have one.  

- Insurance - you pay your money and take your choice.  Some people pay extra for insurance to cover you whilst racing, many don't.  It's up to you!

- Sprinting/hillclimbing your car will inevitably strain it more than normal use, so factor in finance for extra maintenance/wear and tear.  

*Encourage your wife/girlfriend/partner/significant other if you have one to come along and get involved (even if they don't want to drive).  Everyone is a friendly bunch and there is always someone to chat to, in addition to wearing a leotard and cheering you on with pompoms of course.  There is also a vacancy for a 2005 speed series commentator which is a great way to amuse oneself for the day...You will find that if they enjoy it, it smooths the way to pay for more of it.  I speak from the experience of being in that situation!  In fact, from thinking that track days were really boring - I wouldn't bother going with him, I have found the SS events to be such fun that I even went to one without him when he was stuck abroad.  Personally I've found that it's been great to get away together (well apart from the one where Westy wasn't there) and enjoy a really good social weekend.  It makes it time for "us" rather than Westy doing his thing and me dragging along behind.    

Cripes that was all a bit much for this time on a Sunday  :oops:   I'm sure there's more, but hope it helps a bit anyway...

I feel a copy and paste coming on to update 2005 Beginners Guide  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  :D Thanks Mrs W  :D  :D

That was a rather nice commentary Mrs Westy, however there's one bit of information i would like to ask about! Where exactly are the pit babes?? I seem not to have found them yet despite looking very hard!!! When i'm next there prehaps you would be so kind as to point them out!!!! :D  :D  :D

That was a rather nice commentary Mrs Westy, however there's one bit of information i would like to ask about! Where exactly are the pit babes?? I seem not to have found them yet despite looking very hard!!! When i'm next there prehaps you would be so kind as to point them out!!!! :D  :D  :D

You're whats referred to as a "pit monkey".....That's all I can tell you

Are you implying that I am not one... :angry: