Moving the westy again

DavidC

Once again I need to move my westy to another garage.

This time tho it's just moving 1 mile up the road. Now I haven't got a trailer or a tow car, but can probably find a mate willing to tow.

My query is this....is there anything illegal about just towing the westy, no trailer, between garages so long as the steering and brakes work?

I'm sure it's illegal, but then again you see allsorts towed behind cars, so you never know.

Failing that, is there anyone local to me, with a trailer, who could spare an hour or so of thier time one evening?

Cheers

David C

Failing that, is there anyone local to me, with a trailer, who could spare an hour or so of thier time one evening?

Where would that be then. :durr:  :blush:  :p  :D  :D  :D

Andy

If your in the NW then I could help. :t-up:

If the situation here is the same when towing a caravan, it goes something like this.

If the towed vehicle veers over and rips the side out of parked up Porche, Lambo etc provided the towed vehicle remains attached to the tow car then you are covered for third parties damage by the tow car insurance.

BUT if the towed car hits the parked cars after parting company then you will become liable for any third party damage. :(  :(  :(  :(

(Yes I did use to tow a caravan but got fed up with kipping in a field and crapping in a bucket, ) :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Brian.

Bit of a grey issue this one, I got stopped some years ago towing a minivan, the nice gentleman in the uniform entered into a discussion on what the towed vehicle was, was it a motor vehicle or was it a trailer.

Unfortunatly I cant remember exactly but it was someting about the classification as to whether you had to be "roadworthy". In the end he told me to be on my way

Ah, just checked with a policeman friend of mine and

If its a motor vehicle then it needs insurance, if it doesnt have an engine fitted then its a trailer.

HTH

If your Westy ends up giving a parked Lambo the smacking it richly deserves, then the guy doing the towing could end up with the bill. Most but not all car insurance specifically excludes third party damage caused by a something being towed - I only know because I trailer my race car behind my Defender and had to hunt around a bit to make sure I was covered.

:angry:

So the engine doesnt work? greyer still I'd say, personally would probably just tow it, chances of being "caught" are slim over a short distance (unless you pass a police station) and you have the basis for a good "but its a trailer officer" argument.

good luck :D

Remove the prop (if it's fitted). That way, no matter how much they protest that it's a car, it has no means of being able to be propelled under it's own power. I mean, if you stick an engine on a trailer, it doesn't makie it a car, IYSWIM........

David,

If it doesn't go all go wrong or you get stopped by the old bill then I figure you'll be alright, if not then you or your acomplice could be in the s**t (isnt that the way with everything - it's only illegal when they catch you)

If you dont want to risk it I *may* be persuaded to move it in my trailer.....

PM or email me...

HTH,

ACW.

Well the solution is simple.

I'm hiring a trailer w/winch (the important bit!!;) and a mate with a Land Rover is gonna tow it for me.

That grey area was just a little too grey for me.

ACW, cheers for the offer tho.

DC

The car as it is now