Diff

chunk

Hi, my diff seems to have a hole in the top :0 , should it have a dipstick or something in it? it is just open to atmosphere, I think its a sierra diff.

thanks

chris

Is that where the breather should go? Mine has a very small, rigid pipe coming up from the top of the diff.

Andy

When looking at the back of the diff (from rear of car) there should be a small hole on the top right hand side for the breather pipe. The breather uses a plastic fitting about 10mm long to which you need to add a rubber pipe 100mm long.

The diff needs to breathe to atmosphere.

Put my diff in yesterday and had to file off the bottom right hand corner to provide 4mm clearance against the left hand chassis rail, according to Westfield this is a common requirement.

Other thing to watch out for is that the late 7.5 diffs used bolts for the top mountings and not the long stud, not a problem, just make sure you have the correct fixings before starting.

Regards

Steve

to which you need to add a rubber pipe 100mm long.

Make it much longer if you intend to go on track  ;)  ;)  :D  ;)  ;)

Thanks for all the responses :) does this small plastic pipe just push into the hole as it doesn't seem to have a thread?

Mark, how long does the pipe have to be for track use and does it just point upwards or does it need rooting somewhere :p

Mine is only small  :blush: and I go on track a lot with no problems

Route a longer pipe around the back end of your chassis and have the end pointing up as high as poss within "bootbox area" about 2ft (600mm). Plastic pipe is cheap  ;)

To Answer Chunk's question the breather comprises a plastic fitting which is a push fit into the hole in the diff. This has a small barb on it for a length of rubber hose approx 5mm diameter at a guess.

A visit to the local Ford parts department should do it. Failing that Westfield will sell you one.

Kevin

What benefit does this long pipe have? MMMmmmmmmm

Acts as a small reservoir - catches and allows diff oil and fumes to drop back into the diff.

Mine will work with the standard short pipe everywhere except on high grip long LH corners for example Mira. With the short pipe oil can pump out with the long pipe it doesn't.

Not exactly scientific though.

What benefit does this long pipe have? MMMmmmmmmm

Acts as a small reservoir - catches and allows diff oil and fumes to drop back into the diff.

Mine will work with the standard short pipe everywhere except on high grip long LH corners for example Mira. With the short pipe oil can pump out with the long pipe it doesn't.

Not exactly scientific though.

Mine did the very same at aintree. Better now since much longer tubing fitted