This is shocking!!

shaun

I have to say that any excessive consumption, alcohol, drugs, smoking, food is difficult to understand.  However if you go out the only thing that lives with you from others is smoking, I hate the smell of other peoples cigarettes on my clothes, I do not ask them to wear the by products of my drinking or eating on on their clothes or in their bodies.....

I know its not the right forum, but passive smoking doesn't just leave a nasty smell. It kills innocent people and children. Just like guns, bombs and drink driving. No different, no defence it's fact.

???

Oh, all right then  ;):D  While we're at it lets also ban drinking in public places . . . alcohol causes something like 75% of violent crime in the UK according to the police and causes more days lost at work than anything else.  Can't remember the exact figures but it also causes a substantial proportion of all deaths.  Smells horrible and looks like cat pee too :D  ;)  :)

I

Hpw does passive drinking work then, do you have to get a long straw?.

(Seriously I understand your point, the effects of one's drinking on others are usually more immediate, such as death by road accident, deafness from unfeasibly loud belching and so on.)

No thats OK so long as they are fully combusted.

Of course if there is a Lady present, it is always Gentlemanly to offer to light hers for her.

I find myself in the unusual position of strongly agreeing with our esteemed chairman  :p  ;)

I, like many others, strongly dislike everything to do with smoking and the tobacco industry (apart possibly from Motor Racing sponsorship), my father was a 60 a day man until he died at 63 after having a lung removed

But I defend the right of people to do whatever they like in their life so long as I am not unreasonably affected...

What I really object to is other people deciding that what I want to with my life unreasonably affects them when the basis of their judgement is the cynical dis-information we are fed by biased and self interested pressure groups which are spread by an ignorant and financially driven media

How many of you have examined the direct relationship between the introduction of unleaded petrol and the increase in childhood astma in western car owning societies?

How many of you considered the lies and propaganda promulgated by Friends of the Earth and Greenpeace in the 'Brent Spa' affair which directly led to DEATH of more than a dozen shipyard workers in Norway?

How many of you are aware that since Tony Blair jumped on the 'ban handguns' bandwagon that hand gun related incidents have increased FOUR times?

I have the choice of leaving a restaurant/pub or place of entertainment, I don't have the choice about breathing Benzine or being shot by a gun toting drug dealer

ASH are just another pressure group being selective about the 'research' that they promote and providing no provenance regarding the funding of that research. I have as much  confidence in studies funded by anti-smoking sources as I do for studies funded by the tobacco industry. In fact the only source in which I'd have less confidence is absolutely anything produced by Alister Campbell  :D  :D  :(

I know its not the right forum, but passive smoking doesn't just leave a nasty smell. It kills innocent people and children. Just like guns, bombs and drink driving. No different, no defence it's fact.

The most recent published annual motor accident statistics show approx 4000 deaths from road accidents, of which 800 were drink related (a figure which incidentally includes drunk pedestrians hit by sober drivers), that means 3,200 OR 80% were due to other factors, why pick on drunk drivers when you're 4 times more likely to die through incompetence

the cost to the NHS of smoking related illnesses, diseases and other maladies far out-weighs the net tax gain

Another piece of conventional wisdom which has NEVER been backed up by independent research. In the last year for which I could find government figures (2000/01) tobacco tax revenue was approx £7 billion (that ignores the estimated £3.5 billion of lost revenue through smuggling), smoking related diseases were estimated (since no independent measure exists) to have cost the NHS £1.5 billion

PLEASE do your own research, don't believe the spin published by vested interests and the inaccuracies published by ignorant journalists

The tendency toward more and more legislative restriction over personal freedom might lead to no kit cars, after all the public might be convinced that banning, say, 200,000 kit cars would significantly reduce their chances of being involved in a car accident just like they believed that banning 200,000 legitimate license holders of hand guns would reduce hand gun incidents

Gotta agree with you as well Mr Albert  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D  :D  :p

So can I still fart and belch when I want to  :D  :D  :D  especially if someone lights up a fag near me  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D

Am American colleague of mine has a sign on the wall behind his desk.  It says "Let's make a deal - you don't smoke and I won't fart".

So, if you don't smoke in restaurants then it's probably OK to fart.

In your opinion  :D  :D  ;)  ;)  ;)  :D  :)  :D

So lets live and let live and enjoy ourselves in our own ways  :D

Yes in my opinion and also I believe the opinion of many other non-smokers.

I don't have a problem with smokers - they are quite free to slowly kill themselves, but I do have a problem with breathing in other peoples smoke for example.  It is a case a what level you accept it.  I put up with it, but that isn't to say that I enjoy it.

It has already been banned in many areas - public transport, aeroplanes and most workplaces now take it seriously and operate a no smoking policy.  However there are other areas where the problem still remains.

Oh, all right then  ;):D  While we're at it lets also ban drinking in public places . . . alcohol causes something like 75% of violent crime in the UK according to the police and causes more days lost at work than anything else.  Can't remember the exact figures but it also causes a substantial proportion of all deaths.  Smells horrible and looks like cat pee too :D  ;)  :)

After reading all that i was about to write the same reply.

Dont forget about the:

battered wives and husbands ( speaking from experience)

people killed by drink drivers

alcoholics

Theres nowt worse than seeing people who get pist and really get on your txxs. Every monday morning when i get to my workshop i have to pick up glasses and wash down the path after some arsexxxx has thrown up on their way home :angry:

A pint of lager should be £5 a pint then they mite not drink as much

My nan used to smoke 40 a day til she was 92 so she did well for a smoker. If your times up your times up

Depending on where you drink it is almost £5 per pint ??? One club near me charges £3.50 for a poxy bottle of weak lager.  No good for getting drunk on but quite useful as fart ammo against all the smokers :D

we stayed in a hotel just outside Paris the other month. one ashtray on each side of the bed, one on the desk under the telly and another two in the bathroom  :0

interestingly enough though there was a sign on the reception saying 'non-smoking rooms are available on request'.

felt guilty staying in the room without using any of the ashtrays ???  ;)

toxins and chemicals are a serious problem - betcha if you took a typical city centre sample you'd be amazed of the crud that we're all breathing in  

and even eating.....lets ban McDonalds.

Better still lets ban that bl**** stupid McDonalds song that is polluting the airwaves and which my kids use to upset my natural rhythm.