Peter R and Slicks

Bazzer

Hi Peter

I noticed you were out on slicks on your Busa later on in the day. How did you get on with them ? What sizes and type were you running. I kept meaning to come over and have a look at your elecy reverse but kept forgeting.

Cheers

Bazzer

Well they took a bit of getting used to - not sure of the size, but they look roughly equivalent to a 185/50-13 and hence lowered the gearing quite a bit. (normally runs F 185/60-13 032R and R 205/60-13 032R). ALl I know about the slicks is that they're Michelin versions and ex Formula Renault.

I'd heard all the rubbish talked about slicks - ie take ages to warm up, go off after a few laps, are very snappy on break-away etc etc. In reality they do take ages to warm up - about 3 laps before I was happy with them - but part of that was acclimatising to narrower width and gearing etc. Just felt a bit loose and slippy at the back to start with.

Once up to temp I thought they were excellent and the real surprise was that they broke away really progressively - very controlable like a kart. My mate with a stopwatch reckoned it reduced the lap by about 2 secs, but as it also lowered the gearing, I was still relearning what gear to use in each corner, so could have gone harder in another session (and without passengers).

Considering I got them for free (bought 'em on alloys for £70 and then flogged the wheels for £70) I was well impressed - better than the £300 032Rs!

:D