HELP!!!!

Rusty Nuts

driving along on wednesday afternoon see a blue mondeo coming up behind in birmingham so start to give it some and dodging in and out of traffic when my mate decides to call answer phone tell him not to bother me yet as im trying to get away from a blue mondeo get on the bristol road towards home just then blue mondeo morphs into an ugly unmarked police car with flashig blue lights

police officer puts me in the back of said mondeo and tells me i have been driving like a lunatic and doing 60 in a 30 zone which im pretty sure was a 40 zone untill speed camreas were installed on this road and he says its all on video

gave me  a producer and told me to go home and wait for summons from the court

how can i escape (can i escape a big fine and lots of points) from this predicament all suggestions welcome

shindha :(

I'm not sure you can - if you were videoed and apprehended by plod then the evidence against you is going to be hard to refute.

If you're lucky you might just be done for speeding but if it's a charge to do with the way you were driving then it might be more serious in terms of the points / fine / ban that's dished out.

Have a look at one of the speeding sites - is it www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk or some such ?   Pistonheads  might also be worth a look.

If it's on video, and the speed limits are as stated by the copper, then you're f*****.....

Hmmmm, as Blatters says looks like you are bang to rights.

Just check the following. They must ..

a. 'serve a notice of intended prosecution' within 14 days

b. 'lay down the information' i.e. serve a summons, within 6 months.

You may be able to put in a defence that you didn't see any blue lights on said vehicle and had experienced an incident ealrier on that day with a similar vehicle that had 'road raged you' and you felt under threat and were making your way rapidly but safely to the nearest Police station. It worked for an ex-girlfriend of mine's father, although his incident was late at night and he is a businessman who was driving a top of the range Jag - he pleaded that he thought the car behind was trying to force him off the road to rob him.

HTH.

Nick

:( ......Shindha, take it on the chin.

:) .......but it's not all bad news, I managed to travel from Oxford to the Ace Cafe yesterday at silly speeds and didn't get stopped, flashed or lasered once.

:0 .....maybe you could buy the video from the Plods and sell it to "You've been framed". That way you could recoup some of your fine money.

:blush:........my coat please

Just check the following. They must ..

a. 'serve a notice of intended prosecution' within 14 days

That would have been handled verbally at the scene seeing as he was given a producer and told to expect a summons.

Did he start speeding before hitting the blues and twos? You could claim that you were bated - but you will need seriously large watnots. The best one could be along the lines of the other reply and you thought you were going to be car jacked for that glorious machine that is a Westfield?? :cool:

Did they caution you ?

If not then you *might* not get anything in the post....

They don't have to caution you. If they are going to report you for consideration of an offence, then all they have to say is "You will be reported for consideration for prosecuting you for the offence of....." That counts as your notice of intended prosecution.

Some-one on Blatchat asked a similar question, and got similar answers here....

You may be able to put in a defence that you didn't see any blue lights on said vehicle and had experienced an incident ealrier on that day with a similar vehicle that had 'road raged you' and you felt under threat and were making your way rapidly but safely to the nearest Police station. It worked for an ex-girlfriend of mine's father, although his incident was late at night and he is a businessman who was driving a top of the range Jag - he pleaded that he thought the car behind was trying to force him off the road to rob him.

Which of course, they'll ask if you reported, and if not, why not?

And in all these suggestions, unless you have an impartial witness to back you up, it would be rare for a Magistrate to side with a speeding driver over the word/evidence of a copper.........

I had a similar experience with an unmarked plod car a few years ago, undertook him on the inside on a dual carriageway (70mph limit) and reached 120mph before slowing to 50mph for the exit, then the little blue lights came on.  He was doing 50mph on the outside lane with no traffic on the inside so was effectively baiting me.

They did me for speeding only, got 6 points and a fine.  Don't worry about it, your head always tells you these things are worse than they really are, relax and accept a few points and a fine.  If I think back to the way I've driven over the past 18 years or so a few hundred pounds here or there is cheap speeding tax !  :D

Also no comfort but Phssthpok likely 'got away with it' because Senior Officers in areas where cameras are proliferating are reducing if not eliminating traffic patrols thus releasing those resources for other duties, this is the real reason why Chief/Assitant Chief/Deputy Chief Constables are so in favour of cameras

So in future you'll be OK driving the wrong way up a dual carriage way so long as you're below the speed limit   :arse:  :arse:

im ready to take the fine and points but what would kill me is if there was a BAN job and all else (life just would not b worth living) he did give me all the verbal about anything i might say will b given in evidence or even might not say could b used against me so i just sat there very quitely. i dont think i could try any of the other excuses put forward but i did hear about somebody who disputed the accuracy of the equipment and asked for a calibration certificate etc and heard nothing more of the incident i was wondering if any body knew of any such technicalities to help wriggle out of this situation.

thanx for all the views so far

shindha

Err, by your own admission you were guilty of 'speeding and careless driving' and you were using using a mobile phone at the same time - better to just accept it and just be thankfull you didn't kill someones kid in the process....then you'd have had something to worry about.

Minghis