tyres

chunk

I live in Germany, and I have the impression that at least here the 032s are being replaced with 048s. In any particular size, you can order one or the other, but not both.

By the way, I hear a lot of conflicting information about the street-legality of 032s and 048s.

I recently decided that I wanted them and went to three dealers in my area to get quotes. Two just named me prices but the third warned me that he can only sell them to people with racing licenses and that they are only legal on public roads during rallye races and on the ways to and from such races. I mentioned that some people here drive them all the time, and the dealer told me that actually, they are driving illegally. I have read the same information in a couple of German forums. I have yet to check with the authorities, and all the above is just hearsay or gossip.

What is the situdation in Great Britian?

Steve L

I think 48s are now fitted as standard to production Lotus Elises.

Andy

R tyres are not road legal on cars registered in Germany or use in Germany, but cars in the UK can have them fitted. Cars going from the UK to Germany car have the tyres fitted though :p

I asked a friend from Germany who uses A032Rs.  He is not aware of this despite working in the motor industry.  He also said Lotus sell the Exige on A048R, BMW sell the M3 on Michelin Pilot Cups and Ferrari sell the Stradale on Pirelli Corsa.

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote directly to Yokohama Germany and learned that the tyres are legal for street use, period. As to the question of whether the insurance would try to wiggle out of paying up in the event of an accident, Yoko wrote that they were not aware of any such case, but just as an insurance company might resist paying for a snow-related accident if the driver was using summer tyres in the winter, an insurer may try to indicate that the driver was negligent if driving on 032/048s in the rain.

Not that this is relevant to the British, but I thought I would follow up on my thread.