• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

O/T

Stuart

The old Epson Stylus 440 seems to have given up the ghost - black print head not working despite a couple of hours trying to unblock with cleaning utility/water/kitchen towels.

Anyone have any tips to fix?  If not - recommendations for a new home printer??  

What about the scanner/copier/printer all in one thingies - any good or avoid?

Any advice appreciated.

Won't print black.  Have changed black cartridge and still won't print.  Makes all the motions and noises but no print appears on the paper.  Colour is fine, just no black.

If its just the black thats not working try checking the flexible "cable" that attaches the print head unit to the main body of the printer. It will probably look like a 1/2 inch wide strip of plastic. See if you can see any kinks or small cracks in the cable. If there is its probably one of the feed lines for the head gone open circuit and thats why is stopped working.

Did it stop working all of a sudded or has it been playing up for a while?

Suddenly.

If the cable is cracked then I assume it's knackered??

Can't check it just now as just heading out to the Walter de Canteloupe Inn for some fine grub and excellent ale :D

My epson 740 had the same sort of problem. Stripped it down and cleaned it myself and it's as good as new now. The price of printers now means it's not worth having it repaired.

So have a go yourself and if it is knackered or you break somthing then your no worse off than you are now. If you fix it then you've saved yourself the price of a new printer.

Interestingly, the Epson printers seem to give the best value IMO although where they get 24 quid for a black cartridge is beyond me when the colour are 'gettable' for under a tenner each.

I'm with Richgm - 'ave a go first..............

Funny enough my epson 400 packed up last week it had been doing what yours is for ages and I tried every thing to fix it  but as I have had it 8 years thought it was time for an upgrade have just replaced it with a hewlett packard psc 2510 printer/fax/scanner/copier It also has a wireless connection for networks also has card slots for digi camera and a 2" colour screen so you can view and print pictures without a pc cost £250 but is the dogs wotsits. :D

Bin it and buy a new one

HP PSC2510

Barry

Thanks guys.  I've had it to bits and cleaned the print head + there are no obvious cable faults but it still don't go on black

So, looks like it's a new one.  I do fancy one of the all in one machines - anyone any experience of the Epson CX3600/3650?

No experence but for the money don't think you can go far wrong I would have gone for something similar but I needed a fax also.

Barry