• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Using a CVH 1800 Sierra donor car?

mpett

Hello all!

I've finaly got myself in a position to build a WESTFIELD!!  woohoo!!

As luck had it, one of my coleagues at work, whom I'd been talking to about buying her sierra when she was done with it, has a broken timing belt and has asked me if I want it.  I've offered her £50 for it and I understand that the gearbox is a reconditioned one with only 10K of use.  Now I've been told that the gearbox is worth the £50 I've offered alone.

Obviously I'm gonna build a SDV SEi and I was wondering if anyone has any insightfull knowledge to pass on about using the 1.8 CVH sierra as a donor.  For example, is the diff or steering column different or incompatible?

Secondly, I was considering putting in the pinto 2l, but after having driven the demo SDV car it seemed quite tappety and a little sluggish.  It seems fine, but I'm used to a little more.  So, are both the MT75 and the Type9 compatible with the Zetec 1.8 and 2.0?  I ask this because I'm mot 100% sure which gearbox it has as I haven't seen the sierra yet.

Thanks for your help.

Martin

You can certainly use the MT75 with the Zetec, as that's what's in my car. The Type 9 can also be used, but I think that this involves slightly more work when fitting it to a Zetec (but that could be because I've only heard of people changing from MT75 to Type 9).

The 'best' gearbox to use appears to be the Type 9 (primarily because if you want to change ratios or anything in the future, there are more options for this box).

Best of luck with your build. I trust a membership form is in the post? :t-up:

Welcome!

Andy

Both MT75 and Type 9 will fit the Zetec. My MT75 bolts straight on to the zetec no problems.

Type 9 is used predominantly so gear ratios can be changed if needed, people tend to do this for sprints, hill climbing etc. The MT75 is a more modern and stronger gearbox and will be fine if it's predominantly road use.

To fit MT75 to 2.0L Zetec then you should look at a lightened flywheel while your at it and (with the raceline one I have) you can fit a CVH clutch kit. This means you don't need the westfiled item which have been prone to breaking.

cheers

Paul

If your building an SDV with a Zetec you will need to think about the following things:

1.You will need to order Zetec engine mounts with your kit

2.An alternator bracket will be required

3.You would need a modified sump as the Zetec is normally transverse

4.I think the starter motor from the 1.8cvh will work with MT75 on a standard Zetec flywheel (dont know about type 9)

5.You would need some kind of ignition system.

6.You would need a modified release bearing from W/F if you are going to use the standard flywheel and clutch or as Paul says you could use an after market flywheel.

7.If your Sierra is a model with powered steering you wont be able to use the steering column as it is different to the standard one.

8.If you want to use the V5 from the donor car its a good idea to inform the dvla that you have replaced the donor car engine with the zetec engine.

9.If you do change the engine no with the dvla you will need to use 1.8 zetec engine or they may want to inspect the donor car (i.e to make sure the brakes etc are up to scratch)

Hope this little lot helps, I cant think of anything else off the top of my head but if you need any more info let me know.

Regards, Dean :D:D

If you go Zetec and are thinking about all these other possible mods, are you making the right choice of model/kit to build??

Contrary to popular belief the SDV isn't  r e a l l y  a single donor vehicle anyway and once you start you'll see why, for all the reasons Deano.1 mentions and more.  The alt bracket is only the tip of the iceberg :0 even if you stuck to PintoPower.

The WF car was a bit sluggish to when I drove it but mine is a different animal    :devil:  :devil:

I am about a month into an SDV (Zetec 1800/MT75 disc brake rear end), from my experience so far there is no such thing as a single donor vehicle. For example the steering column must be from a car without PAS which limits your options somewhat. In the end I bought a 1992 2.0 DOHC Ghia, kept the MT75, 3.92 Diff, drive shafts, uprights, front and rear callipers, V5 and dumped the rest. Bought the column from John at Kit-Fit.

Went for a Zetec to have a modern power unit.

Another point to watch our for is when taking the uprights to Westfield they expect to have them without the bearings otherwise they will charge for removal and probably breakthem.

Fitting the metalastick suspension bushes is a real s...d!

Should have said, according to the Haynes manual MT75 was only used on the 2.0 DOHC models so you should have the Type 9

I (we) started off with the SDV kit, very soon realised all not as seems, all we have out of the orig sierra is the engine 2.0 Pinto, Gearbox, and possibly soon to be replaced the Diff. Oh the joys of building..... :D

Thanks for all the advice.  The feeling I'm getting is that its not a single donor car experience, unless you get a very specific Sierra which ticks all the boxes on the list.  (i.e. quite hard to do)  So, I should expect there to be a few problems and to find myself a local scrap yard!!

How do I decide!!??

1.So, what advantages do I have from staying with the Pinto?

2. What else will I need to buy if I go for the Zetec?

3. What advantage will I get, besides BHP and smoother running from using a Zetec

4. What pains in the A*** am I likely to encounter if I go for the Zetec over the Pinto??

Cheers for all the help!

Martin

Don't worry about anythng  IMHO  just be prepared for a few frustrations

:D:D:D

MPET; there are loads of things that will need 'looking at' check out a few build sites and maybe start you're own