Registration

JamesD

I got round to registering the Westy on Tuesday, what a performance that was.

Contacted the DVLA local office call centre:

"No problem sir, just turn up at a DVLA local office and they will be able to sort you out"

RUBBISH

Went to Worcester DVLA local office with all my documents and the car, was told immediatly that I needed to go to Birmingham as the company name I was trying to register the car under was in Cradley Heath, and Birmingham is my closest office  :(

Luckily the shift manager on the day took pity on me as the inspector happened to be at Worcester, he took 2 mins to look over the car, I handed him a load of receipts...and an hour later I had a BRAND NEW PLATE  :0

I obviously did not complain but I was slighly confused, as all of the major component on my car bar the chassis are 2nd hand or reconditioned (receipts to prove).

Is this the norm or did I get lucky?

Either way it's legal now  :cool:

You may not think so come MOT time though...........check the V5 very carefully when it arrives. You're looking to see if it has any emissions details on it, and if so, that they are appropriate for your vehicle.................

Worcester gave me a new reg as well, almost with no questions asked.  I don't recall the V5 mentioning emmission requirements.  Is it stated somewhere ?

Simon

Maybe.........

MOT stations have a habit of applying the test based on the reg number. If you have an 03 (or whatever, 52, 02, etc etc) reg number, but passed SVA with a pre 95 engine, you'll fail the MOT based on current emmissions.......

If the V5 details lower emissions than your reg number may suggest, produce it at MOT time to get put through the appropriate test.......

It's a really grey area though, 'cos if the V5 states "Built from parts", that means "Kit Car", so in theory, you can argue for a visible smoke test only, as it's an amateur built vehicle.

As a new reg that doesnt mention emissions on the V5 as these will be treated as current.

The only issue with a new reg is then meeting these emissions and having to have a cat.

At least you wont need a Mot for 3 yrs ;)

Sparky

It should, because it should also note "Amateur Built" or "Built from parts" on it somewhere. The fact that you *can* get a new reg with a pre 95 engine means that there is bound to be some confusion over emissions, so the DVLA decided to start noting emissions requirements on the V5. Not sure if they have officially started doing this yet, but if not, a new reg car with a pre 95 engine on carbs, which quite properly passed the SVA emmissions test, is almost certainly going to fail it's first MOT when the MOT man sees an 03 reg and applies current standards, as opposed to the pre '95 standards that should be applied.......

That's me to then, have 03 palte and tested to pre 95 emissions but V5 doesn't mention lower emisions, is/has anyone checking/ed this out with Swansea?

Sparky Pups, you are wrong :angry: As Blatman says you can get a pre 95 engine legitamately on an 03 car tested at the lower emissions.

That's me to then, have 03 palte and tested to pre 95 emissions but V5 doesn't mention lower emisions, is/has anyone checking/ed this out with Swansea?

Sparky Pups, you are wrong :angry: As Blatman says you can get a pre 95 engine legitamately on an 03 car tested at the lower emissions.

I was agreeing with Blatman, my context was poor though.

My 2000 SVAd westy has a Q plate, but does declare the emissions (pre 95). And it was  a b******* to pass the last MOT (clued up MOT tester :arse: who asked for the V5).

An MOT tester who sees a current plate with no emissions declared on the V5 will test to current regs and that could be a problem

Sparky :)

Is there anything on the SVA paperwork (the MAC certificate?) that states what emmissions were applied at SVA. If you have any proof of what emmissions rules were applied at SVA, I'd take it along to the MOT.......

Right then, I've fired off an email to the DVLA this morning, I'll keep you posted when I get a reply.

I kept a copy of the MAC :D and there are 2 boxes one for CO2 and 1 for HC the inspector has struck them both out so to my mind that should mean visible smoke test come MOT time, but I would like my V5 to say this.........please..... ???

I also have the print out of the emission test which states the limits of CO at 3.5% and 1200 HC and the actual values which on my Blade were 0.46%CO and 775ppm HC levels. So I do have a fair bit of evidence

Sorry Sparky if I misread your comment :blush:

I reckon you'll be fine, then.

I also think a an e-mail to your local MP, and the Transport Minister, to explain the shortcomings in the legislation wouldn't do too much harm.........IMO the SVA is beurocracy at it's most average. Poorly thought out, and poorly executed, with communication to and between those applying the rules (IE SVA and MOT inspectors, and the DVLC) apparently non existent......

I am running Throttle bodies and my engine is pre-Aug 95 so I should be OK then. I think it was 0.23% CO

Let's see what the DVLA say when I get a reply, there Customer Care standards say that they will respond within 10 days :0

I'll keep you posted  ;)

When I took my car to the DVLA at preston the chap that looked my car over openly said "I know nothing about cars" and I am sure that if I wanted a new reg I could of had one.

I don't think that you were luck to get a new 03 plate - like most Goverment offices the people there don't really care as long as they have an easy life and work flexi time!