My first sort of track experience

gadrego

On Saturday, a couple of mates and I took the Westy up to an old disused airfield in Northumberland.  The airfield is still used by a parachute club but the public are allowed to use the perimeter road for learning to drive etc but there is a 40 mph speed limit.  There is a painted on go kart track on the end of one of the runways.  I have to say that I've never had so much fun.  It was a little damp and so sliding about was a meer prod away.  Spent a while practicing donuts and powerslides then timing some laps around the go kart bit.  Didn't even exceed 40 mph. I Whinced when I let me mates in the drivers seat.  One of them was wearing a big pair of boots and stamped on the brake every time he went for the clutch.  Got a video of the whole thing which I'll try and get on the web sometime.  In the end, rain stopped play and I drove the 60 miles home in torrential rain with just an aeroscreen and helmet.  Got drenched but had a great time.  Just tohught I'd share that with you all as I couldn't keep it to myself much longer.  Think its persuaded me to keep hold of the car for a while yet.

Well, I didn't say before where it was because I don't think the sort of driving we were doing over the weekend is encouraged there so I don't imagine the local farmers would be too happy if a load of Westfields start turning up to practice their donuts but anyway as long as you don't tell them that I sent you or blame me when the tyre bill arrives....

Its called Brunton Aerodrome.  You come off the christon bank turn off heading north on the A1.  Just north of Alnwick.  Its marked on some of the better maps.  Basically after you've turned off the A1, you follow the same road for a couple of miles and take a left fork in the road down a short stretch of Roman road.  Right at the end and eventually you get to a sort of x-roads.  Straight on down a narrow little road then left under after the railway bridge.  Past some farm buildings and you get to a gate.  Open the gate and you're onto the perimeter road.  The runways are out of bounds.  The go-kart track is at the end of one of the run ways so I don't know if this is allowed or not but we took the risk.

where did you find out about this?

bit concerned if I turn up and say some guy on a website told me the blue meanies will have a go.

talking about airfields a video of our play at elvington on friday is available at www.ne7ers.co.uk  look in the blats out section.  it was also a bit wet.........

where did you find out about this?

I've known about it for a while.  My dad sometimes used to take me there when I was younger to have a play in his BMW.  I don't think you'll have any trouble from the police.  There is a disclaimer on the gate saying something to the effect of drivers enter at your own risk.  Please do not exceed 40mph.  As long as you respect the place, you shouldn't have any bother.  Where we had a play is a long way from where anybody else was.  Obviously if a farmer had said anything, we'd have happily left.  I can't see police getting involved as it is private land.  I'll download the Elvington video now.  I was hoping to be there myself but it was all organised so efficiently that while I was away for a weeks holiday, it was all booked up.

it wasnt that efficient.....  you should have said and we would have squeezed you in.  as it turns out one of our number didnt make it cos they forgot to wait to practice there spins and tried one on the way there  :(

it wasnt that efficient.....  you should have said and we would have squeezed you in.  as it turns out one of our number didnt make it cos they forgot to wait to practice there spins and tried one on the way there  

Yeah, I should have definetly said although I only got the car MOT'd on friday and if it had failed I might have wasted a bit of cash.  Luckily it passed fine.  Just watched the vid.  Looked like fun.  How come the Elise's managed to avoid spinning?  Obviously not trying hard enough :D Just read some of my Emails so heard about Emma's car.  Must have been very annoying for her.