repair costs after a hit & run

Dave

However there is a drawback, they consider cost of parts only to be a “fair” deal????

Err, nope! Direct Line gave me just about what Westfield would have charged... At best, suggest a marginally discounted rate, don't forget, it'll take you longer to do it.

If they won't play, I'd take it back to the factory. They'll do a good job, especially if you point out money is no object!

• 2 weeks later...

:(

I take back all the bad things I said about insurance companies, turned out to be a F-whit Johnny who answered the phone.

Anyway a mistake on my part that sent an irate e-mail to their MD (oops!!!;) soon had them running around trying to help with him muttering things about P45's.

Customer service ?

I felt like their only customer, many friendly calls from the MD’s PA who had a voice that could shrink "Y" fronts.

The car has now been declared a total loss, but I have an agreed value.

Do you guy's think 25% of the agreed value is a fair price to retain what is only a slightly damaged 91 seiw ?

I have been told 25% is a standard for the salvage companies?

:oops:

thats not bad,but there's no loss in bartering.They would have to remove the vehicle from your property(if its still there) so costing them time an money.It all depends if you want to rebuild it and to what cat write off is in its records and is it removeable.You may have to re-chassis it to get round some ofit and proof to the inspector before it becomes road legal again.

Doesn`t sound like a bad deal as a starting point,see if you can squeeze them for a bit more though as its always worth trying.

How much do you reckon your car was worth?

It depends how much you`ll have left after the settlement (after taking the car off them) to rebuild the car. Chassis aint cheap (see earier reply) but you should be able to rebuild the car back to a better condition and still have money left, it all depends on what the initial value of your car was and wether you`ll get the full value back.

If you are happy with the way your insurance have delt with you then name them as reputable insurance companies seem to be thin on the ground these days.

Its always nice to take something thats going to be written-off/scrapped and get it going again, it feels like you`ve rescued something from a premature death.

Keep up the good work.

:D

• 4 weeks later...

:( Decided to keep quiet whilst the powers that be @ the insurance company make their minds up ?

But over a month has passed since the engineer saw my car and I am still waiting for them to send me a letter detailing a formal offer with £

Numerous phone calls but they keep on saying that they are getting a market valuation of the car???

I will name and shame the insurance company (when its all resolved) but not the brokers as they have acted very well.

:bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

But over a month has passed

Boo, hiss.

Do they think that by keeping you waiting that you`ll forget about it.

Pi55 poor performance from the insurers.

Hope you get a satifactory resolution soon.

:down:

But over a month has passed since the engineer saw my car and I am still waiting for them to send me a letter detailing a formal offer with £

Send them a reminder...

Numerous phone calls but they keep on saying that they are getting a market valuation of the car???

Do your own research. Lift ads from here, plus FindIt, Autotrader, Hallmark Cars etc etc, and makes sure that the ads reflect favourably the values of our cars. If they don't like it, remind them that they've had long enough, and have more resources with which to do the research, and that you've done it for free...

If they're looking for an average price, make sure any list of ads includes the 20 grand V8 listed here. That should do wonders for the "average" value....