Isle Of Man Visit

Boxy

When I visited in August met Plod with a speed camera on tripod wearing dayglo yellow suit you could spot 2 miles off.

Apparently the force are starting to clamp down on speeding motorists due to complaints from some local's The one I saw was checking speeds in a 30 mph limit and stopping anyone doing 40mph or more to "have a word"

The best thing to do is be sensible, there are miles and miles of out and out blat places to have fun in, so there should be no need to speed.  It's a nice pituresque place so just relax and take in the views!

Click the map to give you an idea of the course - I will post the speed limit areas.TT MAP

DR = de-restricted

1-3 = 30  3-4 = DR 4-5 = 30  5-7 = 50/DR 7-10 = 60 10-14 = DR 14-15 = 30/40 15-17 = DR/30 17-19 = DR/40 19-20 = 40/30 20-22 = 50 22-23 = 30 23-36 = DR 36-1 = 30

Sticking to every speed limit it took me 42mins to get round, in the 50/60 areas you can get away with 70/80 there is usually no plod around and if they are they are in a car there isn't really anywhere for them to place speed cameras.  There are no gatso's here.

I have just spoken to Fad Promotions who organise car events on the island with all the bells and whistles - hill lcimbs, srpints, mountain section closure in the afore mentioned reply, dinners, musicals etc.  They informed me that in september there is the original TT event's 100th anniersary.  Thats the Car version pre-dating the motorcycle one! I am asking him to send the details and if we would be interested in coming over for that.

Also they said to get a god even we would need about 100 people, so I proposed approaching c******m club for a c******m vs westfield event on the island.  What do you think?  Any ideas are welcome, what would you guys like to do here and we can probably make it happen.

Are we on for a Speed Series event next year? Just hope the Manx Motor Racing Club can sort a deal out with "Cost a Packet Steam Company" cos it seems they like want everybodies money! :(  ???

If we can get enough people interested then the prices will come down, the promotions company would want near 100 people for a really pukka event, and that would get near a 50% discount on the ferry I reckon so 100 notes for a return trip doesn't sting that badly. Thats why I suggested a westy vs c******m event to get a better going rate for us all.

Yes it would be easier to get 100 people if there were SS competitors and Westfield spectators attending at the same time. Somehow I think that would be a bit difficult.

If you take a motorhome or car with car + trailer on the back the price is nearer £400. This was why last time the MMRC ran the event there was a poor turnout. It was cancelled for this year - a great shame!

If "Cost a packet" reduced their prices you'd get more interest, but since they have a monopoly it appears they can charge what they like for the crossing. Shame they have this attitude. Most little islands that hold motorsport events that attract tourism have some sort of subsidised deal for compeitors - "Cost a Packet" is the exception.

:(  ???  :bangshead:

The Cost-a-packet Steam Co is the reason why I *won't* visit the IoM, for the reasons Windy states. I really wanted to go when the SS visited a couple of years ago, but the ferry prices were outrageous...