speedo is it necessary

Rusty Nuts

I was wondering if a car has to have a speedo or can u drive it without a speedo as long as u dont exceed the speed limit.

all suggestions welcome

shindha

I'm 99.9% sure that a speedo is a legal requirement.

It's not good enough to stay below the speed limit.

Apart from anything else, if the speedo is knackered the odomoter probably  will be aswell and so you won't be recording how many miles you are travelling.

My sprint car speedo hasn't worked since I started sprinting it 4 years ago. Granted, it hasn't done much mileage, but it's also passed every MOT since.

Have you ever seen an MOT man check that the speedo actually works? No, neither have I..........

I can tell what speed I'm doing by what gear I'm in, and how many revs I'm pulling.......

I was stopped nr Elvington a while ago by the traffic police.  I was asked whether my speedo was working and replied that it wasn't.  Nothing was said of this & I can only assume that the guy knew his job.

Like blatman I've learned to work out speed through revs & gears

my original speedoi doesnt work (lost the expensive angle device and it was always inacurate so thought sod it)

On my MOT's the speedo question has been crossed out and Not Applicable written!

I have since fitted a little push bike speedo (cos I needed to know when to put petrol in the car!!;) which works a treat and is far more accurate than the original.

If you have a limited mileage policy and no speedo how do you prove to the insurers that you were adhering to the policy?

Shindha - cheapest solution to a knackered speedo problem (if you want one) is fit a bike speedo - about 10quid from halfrauds or similar

I can tell what speed I'm doing by what gear I'm in, and how many revs I'm pulling.......

Doesn't it take your eyes off the road when your pushing the buttons on your calculator :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

David

My understanding is that a speedo must be fitted for the MOT, but since it is a static test it is not possible to test whether it works  :D  :D

But police at the roadside would be applying Construction and Use regulations which go wider than the MOT.

Interestingly, (or not!;) until emissions regs were brought in, the engine didn't even need to work to pass an MOT.

I've had three cars pass various MoTs with busted speedos, for various reasons.

I was stopped in my old 914 for executing a dangerous manooovah (no idea how to spell that) the police then spent 10 mins checking all my lights and tyres and stuff, found the speedo didn't work went away to find out if that was illegal, came back and told me to get on my way - so presumably it wasn't.

I made up a bracket using a piece of alu sheet and bolted it to the back of the front caliper, using the caliper bolts.  Mounted the sensor on the bracket, duct taped the magnet to the inside rim of the front wheel.

Which is fine until you rotate the wheels/tyres.......

If/when I fit a bycycle speedo to the sprint car, I'll epoxy the magnet on to a hub/disc bolt, and fab up a bracket for the sensor, allowing me to change wheels/tyres without losing speedo functionality..........

All I need to do now is work out if it's possible to power the cycle speedo from the car, rather than batteries........

several ways to fit a bike speedo.

depends on if you have swept wings or cycle.

cycle is easy (if you are not changing a wheels a lot)

fit the sensor to the cycle wing bracket and the magnet to the wheel.  the wires wont be long enough so you will have to splice in some extra length but this isnt a problem.  distance between sensor and magnet is critical.  dont buy a wireless one as they work on line of site and wont work on a car.

swept wing is slightly trickier.  i had the sensor attached underneath the track rod end close enough to get a reading off the magnet which was on the brake disc below the pad area.  the magnet was expoyed on.  this had the added benefit of being able to change wheels.  i lost the magnet after about 1 1/2 years at a track day when i seriously cooked the brakes (blue......).  although the magnet was well away from the bite area i think heat killed it.

The calibration is easy.  for best results find a flat bit of tarmac and roll the car forward so that the wheel rotates three times.  then just enter the wheel circumfrence.  i have had long (and sometimes heated) discussions with the ne7ers about effect of tyre warming on accuracy.  IMO its not worth losing sleeping over unless you are a highly anal type!!!!  (believe me this argument went on for about 1000 emails!!!!;)

Blatman - why do you want to power from the car batteries?

the only issue with a bike speedo is that they generally dont have a back light so reading speed at night is a bit tricky....

OiOi