• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grizzlee

• felters

• Paul Ash

• DickieB

what fittings do I need to connect pipes to a rocker cover and where could I get them?

I got mine from a company called Manflex in Warrington. They can supply a "bulk head connnector" to attach to the rocker cover  and then either a straight or 90 degree hose connector in brass, carbon steel or stainless.

They can even supply braided hosing if necessary, I went for an oil resistant rubber.

Let me know if you need the details.

Cheers

Graham

The fittings required will depend on the rocker cover, If it is a aluminum cover like mine, then the cover can be threaded and the fitting screwed straight in, I used a Hydraulic adaptor (large bore) from a local supplier but most Hydraulic suppliers will have suitable fittings and pipe.

If it is the original tin cover then like Graham says you will need a bulkhead fitting.

Also to help with the oil surge the block fitting was supplied from Vulcan but I guess Burtons etc do a similar fitting.

Steve are you running a baffled sump?

Yep, baffled sump (not the Westfield one) - it's a cut 'n' shut steel one done by a chap who modifies a lot of them for Caterhams.

Good point about the steel mesh getting clogged with oil, I removed mine last night so will see how it goes next time we get a dry day :D   Surprising how much mesh there is in those caps!

Think i'll also try re-locating my catch tank as it's currently fairly low down in the engine bay.

Thanks for the advice.

Steve.

I suppose a HP oil pump makes it worse??
 Shouldn't have any effect.  What you are experiencing is caused by excessive crankcase pressure - often caused by pressure blowing past the piston rings.  

Cures? - Engine rebuild, or improve the breathing through the the other hole - i.e. the crankcase breather.  Check to see if it is blocked, throw away the oil separator, plumb-in as suggested above.

HTH