• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Ally panels,reverse gear & rivnuts??

wills-Megablade

Started the Build on my MegaBlade,and currently fitting the ally panels-thats an experience for the first time i tell you with that rear bulkhead!!. Anyhow, my build is having the reverse gear box fitted. Reading ahead it seems that it will need regular maintenance. Rather than snap riveting it under the tunnel piece,i thought about rivnuting that panel on.Has anyone encountered probs later on with that sort of application - sva etc??? Also passenger upper footwell cover piece (next to plastic pedal inspection bit) has 3 large holes in it (for dash stuff i guess).If i fit it as per the build book (boy-isnt that an example of no nonsense English!;), one of the holes sits over a chassis rail covering it up!!! Is this right??? :durr:

Use rivnuts for the front tunnel panels make sure you use dome head bolts when you fit them and you wont have a problem with sva.

As for your holes they souldnt cover any chassis rails as they are for the wiring loom to pass through.

The panel sits further over to the right than is first obvious and you have to trim the pedal box cover to fit. I also used rivnuts for the pedal box cover.

Danny

Hi Will,

I've got the following tunnel panels rivnutted on:

All tunnel top panels.

The two tunnel side panels that are at about knee level when sat in the car.

The rectangular floor panel that covers the tunnel floor hole.

You might find some pics that are helpful to your build on me website: Westicles

It is possible to make the reverse boxes lower maintenance by rigging up a breather/expansion tank system so that any vacating oil is repatriated under cooling down.

But it is still well worth checking the nuts are tight frequently, and using Knuts/lockwire as much as you can!

The props should be greased more often than a normal prop too, cos of the higher UJ angles.

Cheers,

Al.

Thank you very much indeed chaps. I suspected as much with the pedal box cover and trimming. However looking at your photos Al, your cover is ally, mine is grp. Good to see some photos of how it all goes together too. I shall be looking at this in depth as time goes by!!  Kind of shows which bits to be extra neat on as they will be on show etc.

Ta again. :t-up: