Anyone daft enough...

Camtwister

Folks,

I've got a Pre-Lit with a Zetec 1800 and it's my pride and joy.

It's being gradually prepped as a track day/clubman car, I do the work myself and it lives in a snug garage.

It's my only car because I cycle to work, and I can't afford to own two.

BUT...

Due to a sudden change in personal circumstances, I'm leaving my present house and will more than likely end up with no garage, parking on the road and a daily commute of 50-60 miles.

Selling the Westfield would break my heart.

What do you lot think?

Should I attempt to use the car everyday?

Go to work in it?

Leave it on the road at night?

Do all the maintenance, repairs and upgrades on the roadside?

Pay the extra insurance for no garage and commuter use (assuming that they will insure it)?

Except the inevitable depreciation?

Just wanted the opinions of those that understand how I feel about the car.

Anyone else use a Westfield everyday, all year round?

Cheers,

Camtwister.

It's only my opinion and I know people use theirs everyday

BUT, I commute 60 miles a day and simply wouldn't consider using the Westfield. Why? Well, a) it's mainly motorway and I really dont enjoy the vulnerability of the motorway when it's busy b) I dont think work would be too impressed if my time keeping became an issue of car reliability. c) Despite shower facilities at work, I dont find I can suit up in the Westfield. Too much contact with the outside world and harnesses make a mockery of an ironed shirt.

Of course, that's me and my job where I have a responsibility to be here and presentable to the members of my team

Rent a lock up......

Buy a cheap run around for the commute.......

If your push bike is an expensive one, then you'll have the funds. You just need to sell it.......

I do sort of agree, to use it everyday for 50-60 miles is alot. I use mine occationaly for work, commute 90 mile round trip on M25. so the journey is s**t anyhow. used it twice this week.

I will say however. I can wear a suit in it, take the jacket off, the shirts r  OK. don't always wear a suit tho and  don't get dirty (use side screens and hood if needed).

I must admit I was getting used to using it. Ultimately it is your choice. Personally round trip of 15 miles would be OK, but in the winter I would tend to use something else still.

Hard one to sort out  :angry:  :love:  :angry:  :love: have you someone who can garage it over the winter? or rent a garage locally?

Dave

I would garage it somewhere. Mine is kept at my parents 30 miles away. It's a bit of a pain and makes bearding on it difficult, but I need climate control, alcantara seats, a roof, music and other luxuries on non-fun journys

Factoring in the costs of lock-up rental, purchase price of a run-around, insurance and maintenance of run-around puts me over budget.

My push bike is worth £50!   ???

I don't have to wear a suit for work so that's not a problem, but getting there involves a rush-hour motorway drive.

I reckon I could cope with the freezing cold, leaking roof and loud noise  ;)  but the vulnerability issue does worry me.

vulnerability issue does worry me.

You (or maybe it's just me) get used to the vulnerability. Luckily,I stopped maturing at 16, so I believe I'm invulnerable anyway

It's a bit of a pain and makes bearding on it difficult,

...that is a purposeful pun, isn't it? Otherwise, my ignorance of bizarre mechnospeak has just diminished slightly <!--emo&:D

Hate to be the one to say it but it doesn't sound good.  If you have a screen and weather gear you are probably in a better position than me as I just have an aeroscreen and hardly ever use it for work which is only 4 miles away (it just doesn't seem worth it).  Something else you should really think about is reliability becasue you'll be clocking up 15000 miles a year just in commuting.  Is there any scope for selling your westy, getting a cheaper one and buying a cheapy tin top as well?

It's a bit of a pain and makes bearding on it difficult,

...that is a purposeful pun, isn't it? Otherwise, my ignorance of bizarre mechnospeak has just diminished slightly <!--emo&:D

Bearding = working your car.

Although I mainly bum-fluff, with a bit of stubble due to my lack of spanner-ability

Personally buy yourself a cheap to run banger ie anything like toyota corolla, nissan primera. Will go for miles cost nowt to run and very cheap to buy :t-up:

Then if you can`t afford a garage/lockup buy a car cover and keep out of the weather. ;)

The depreciation you will save by not having a run of the mill motor should fund both cars  :cool:

Add to that the fuel saving for not running the westy all the time and the figures will stack up  :p  ;)  :D

what ever you do don`t sell the westy  :love:  :love:  :D  :D

f you have a screen and weather gear you are probably in a better position than me...

My 2d worth:

I don't use doors/roof and have an aeroscreen.  Last 2 yrs averaged over 20k a year on a daily commute between York and Leeds.  It's do-able.  It's still fun.  You learn to make more space for yourself on the road to reduce vulnerability.

Reliability is a slight issue as they need more maintenance/check ups than a tin top.

How does that sort of mileage affect your insurance if you don't mind me asking?

I'm on a limited (4500 miles I think) policy atm. Only had the car 6 months so wasn't sure how much use I'd actually get out of it, however pro-rata I'm going to be doing something like 5500 miles in it this year if I continue using it at this rate (and that's likely to climb as a result of a little holiday in Wales we've got planned! ).

Andy

My Westie is my only car and I've got no garage either :blush: Consequently, it is used everyday (about 14 miles roundtrip) and it's not too bad. I have got full weather gear, which is kinda necessary though.

Main problem I've found is it turns into a sauna/steam room in the wet/slightly damp with the hood up due to the fact it's not possible to open a window. I'm currently looking to modify my sidescreens to incorporate a sliding window of some kind....

- Dan

How does that sort of mileage affect your insurance

Not significantly.  Fully comp unlimited mileage ~ £200 and something (can't remember).

full weather gear

Best full weather gear is available at a bike accessory shop.  Sell the hood and pay for a good jacket & trousers!  The main advantage of this is you can be in the open and see things when the weather gets s***ty.  It's soooo much safer!  Contrary to the expectations of some with an aeroscreen it's a little more comfortable too

Thanks for your input!

I reckon decision time is about 6 weeks away.

If anyone is interested...I'll let you know what I decide to do.

Took the car out for a blat yesterday and knew that I couldn't part with it but back to cold reality this morning at work...

Cheers!