Herts/Bucks/Beds Meeting 14th October

Persil

W.S.C.C. Herts/Bucks/Beds Area Monthly Meeting Thursday 14th October 2004.

Venue: Grove Lock Public House, Grove, Leighton Buzzard, LU7 0QU. (8.00pm)

This public house is part of the Fuller’s Brewery (English Inns) and is situated on the B488 to Slapton and Tring, a half of a mile going south off of the A505.

Traditionally the monthly meeting on the 2nd Thursday of the month was held at the

Old Green Man, Little Brickhill and during July eight members attended and in

August thirteen members attended.

The 9th September was held at the Froth & Elbow, Dunstable and although a nice

little pub it lacked ideal parking facilities whereby the eleven members who attended could not park their cars together to allow for open discussions.

Therefore I have now come up with the Grove Lock which originally was a lock-

keeper’s cottage which was converted and vastly extended approximately two years

ago and has the following to offer:-

Situated in the countryside on the Grand Union Canal in a picturesque setting.

Two hard-standing car parks offering parking for 50 cars.

Overspill parking in the paddock for 100 cars.

Excellent Restaurant and Bar Meals.

Thirty outside tables and seating of which six tables are under gazeboes with heating.

In my opinion this is an ideal venue and has much to offer.

According to the hearsay the membership for the Herts/Bucks/Beds Area is 150.

However the Membership Secretary has forwarded to me a list of 77.

As you can see we are only getting about a fifteen percent turn-out.

This venue is on the Bucks/Beds border and the Hertfordshire border is only 3 miles away and therefore the most centralized venue I can possibly offer.

It would be nice to think that the Herts/Bucks/Beds Area New Venue will attract more members to attend.

Once you have visited the Grove Lock I am sure you will find it worthwhile and will

visit it time and time again in addition to club meetings.

On another note I set-up a Treasure Hunt for the 19th September and much to my

disappointment I received one entry.

I don’t mind putting on events provided they are supported as I don’t like wasting my time.

Therefore it would be appreciated if members could let me know what type of events they would like me to put on that they will support.

So please try to attend the meeting on 14th October at the Grove Lock if you possibly can.

Let me know if you are able to attend.

Thanks.

Best Regards Bill Fisher ( New Area Organiser from 1st July)

Maps

Here and here

Regards

Persil

Bill & Persil,

Don't worry about lack of attendance in the interim period whilst you are sorting a new venue. I think this was likely to happen anyway when you get a change of area organiser & venue at the same time.

My view of pub meets is that all most people want is a decent pint & a natter in good company & at an easily accessible venue in nice surroundings. If there is decent food there as well (something the previous venue lacked) then this will no doubt attract more people. The visit & activities support you were hoping for will come later once people have a permanent meeting point.

Your suggestion for the next meet will hopefully generate some more attendees. Sounds like it will be a nice place being by the canal. :)  :t-up:

• 3 weeks later...

hope to be there on Thursday, take it its still on at the new venue? Dont think the tyre kicking in the car park will take very long, more like natter around the fire

:xmas:

unfortunately won't be there this month. Was looking forward to the new venue too.  Away with work Thursday and Friday.

david

So how was it then? Did anyone go? I couldn't make it this month unfortunately. Hope to one day. How suitable was the new place - Access, parking food, beer.