Tool to pry back calipers

Dracoro

Replacing rear pads this weekend but can't retract the piston on the rear calipers by hand. Is there a tool for this sort of thing or should a G clamp be good enough?

Also is there anything I'm missing that's preventing me from retracting the piston using my hands? I've taken the cap off the brake fluid reservoir.

The pads/calipers are granny ones I think (the matching pads from halfords say granny/scorpio or sierra w/abs.)

on some of the ford rear calipers you need a special tool to push the pistons back, they are on a slight screw thread.  You can get ovet this by twisting the caliper clockwise whilst putting slight pressure on the piston or if in doubt halfords should be able to sell the proper tool at relatively cheap price.

Hope this helps

if you have not got the tool

you can use long nose pliers ,you must push and turn clockwise at same time to wind back. :D

I've had two Granadas and struggled to move the pads without the tool. With it, though, it's a doddle! :)

When you've wound the piston back in ensure that one of the detents in the piston that the tool engages in lines up with the tab at the back of the brake pad. This is to ensure that the piston can't rotate when the pads are fitted but the pad won't seat properly unless the piston is aligned.

I managed it using a strip of metal with 2 screws through it, to engage with the piston. The first caliper was a piece of cake but the second one made me wish I'd just bought the tool. Given the potential for damaging the rubber seals I'll probably buy the tool next time.

Kevin