Where do you buy your tools?

darthurs

dont buy shiny ones.

ive been under the GT6 today oiling and the sort. and you KNOW how hard it is trying to grip a chromed spanner with oily hands! :p;)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• darthurs

• ChrisG

• KerryS

• Rob Marshall

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of Machine Mart's tools are a bit cheap and nasty but there's a world of difference between a tool you use a few times and one that is used for more production based work. If a tool does the job you have at the moment it has done its job unless you are proposing to go into Westfield production.

At the moment, there seem to be a few tools in the build that are used once and are relatively expensive, such as taps to clean up powder coated threads, which is a bit of a pain. Fortunately I can borrow those from work but for those who can't a bolt with a couple of grooves filed into it will suffice.

Kerry S

A local engineering supplier can be a good source of reasonably priced tools.  Usually cheaper than Halfords, and quicker than buying by post.  They can also be good sources of small volumes of nuts bolts etc.

Have a look around your local industrial estates, there's usually one around.  Cultivate a good relationship with the staff  and better terms may be available :t-up:

I have to agree aswell, taps can be very expensive especially the unsual sizes, so to clean out powdercoating a groove or two in a bolt of the coorect thread is fine.

IMHO Snap On is very over rated even if you are using the tools all day every day they are far too over priced, I am an engineer I pick Facom when I have a choice. A fair price for good quality.

Something I saw the other day from snap on that would have been useful if I had known about them earlier... ratchet spanners.

Halfords ratchet spanners are excellent too.

As with quite a few folk here, I use Halfords Pro range for the majority of my hand tools. I also have a set of Facom spanners, and a smaller selection of Sykes Pickavat pullers and the like. Black and Decker make the power tools I use. All in all, they all seem to stand up pretty well to the abuse I put them through...

So you abuse your tools like you abuse the other boardroom users?

:D

Evenin' Mr. B. Riocha tonight?

:)

Andy

Nope. Sober tonight. Working tomorrow...

:0

I really need to have that conversation with you...on a Sunday?

I'll think of you as I roll out of bed sometime early afternoon ;)

Andy

Draper tools are good, use them for me agricultural jobs.

Never had a spanner break on me yet, and I've had to put some force on them in the past jobs I've done.

Another vote for Halfords Pro range.

Quality kit at a reasonable price and always readily available if you need something extra.

Machine Mart is good for consumables, their plasma cutting discs are superb for just £0.80 each.