Ford ECU

deano.1

I have a 2.0 Zetec from a 98 Mondeo complete with injection system and ecu. Has anyone successfully installed this system and if so how did you get around immobilizer etc?

Or is it easier to use an ecu that will work with Ford sensors etc such as the Megasquirt or similar?

Also i have to get this thru sva so it has to be right!

I would appreciate any advice!

Cheers, Dean  ???

The megasquirt comes heartily recommended (I run one on my Zetec) and won't cost the earth. There's a bit of engineering to do but plenty of people around to help. It'll work when you decide to upgrade to TBs as well.

The Ford ECU should work in theory but once you've removed all the emission control gear, plugged the holes and worked out the wiring it might be easier to go with a Megasquirt. Only down side is that it'll need mapping and if the car isn't on the road this could be tricky. I reckon you could easily get it running well enough for an SVA and worry about the finer details once it's on the road. I can certainly help out with some base maps if you go that route.

It's worth getting a wideband lambda sensor if you're going to map it yourself. Have a word with Bill Shurvinton. I'm sure he'll be along soon.

Kevin

Yep - Bill's the man...

I ordered my ignition only mega**** from Bill and he's just building it up now.

Remember that the ford ECU on the zetec does ignition as well as fueling, so you will need to make sure you get both maps about right and that Bill supplies you with the right unit.

Will.

By far the easiest route to obtaining the Megasquirt kit in the UK is to talk to Bill Shurvinton (he's on this forum).

I got mine direct from the US before Bill was importing them in numbers and that was relatively painless, except for the need to raise money orders to pay in dollars and the associated bank charges.

In terms of turning round the kits the guys over there are very good.

Bill also does some nice wideband Lambda sensor kits, one of which I have in my Westie. If you're going to have a play with injection you need one of these!

Kevin