SVA - Failed......

Black Shadow

Had my SVA test and Leighton Buzzard, knew the day was not going to go my way when I woke up, absolutely p******** down.... Got soaked going in a massive down poor.  :(  Then on the way back, left the centre in sunshine, only half way home got soaked again... Don't care though it was just great to drive it.

Failed on a few bits that I need some help on.

1. I was one decibel over on the noise test, I have the Westfield full system on pinto lump. How can I get this down ?

2. The front to rear brake balance is not correct, I have too much at the rear, could it be that I have put the pipe the wrong way round on the mater cylinder ?

The other bits are easy to sort just not sure how to sort these out any ideas ?

Brake balance is a common problem. A search should pull up a fair bit of useful information. Making sure the pads are properly bedded in is a good start. Or put 'better' pads in the front.

Andy

Ref the brake ballance be carful.  Even with padded in breaks the last car that I took for an SVA was a SDV.  That needed a reducer in the rear break system to stop some of the break effore and get the ballance.

This is available from Westfield.

HTH

Rob

If the Westfield silencer is the same as the one they sold to me for a pinto, demand a full refund + expenses and buy a proper silencer

:angry:  :angry:

I find it extraordinary that cars still have the brake bias problem.  It has been discussed on this board as long as I can remember.  Surely Westfield have a solution by now  ???  ???

I find it extraordinary that cars still have the brake bias problem.  It has been discussed on this board as long as I can remember.  Surely Westfield have a solution by now  

But no SVA compliant it's a twin master cylinder and bias bar job sorted

I failed on noise at LB with the same set up as yours.

Ended up (as a belt and braces exercise) making a complicated exaust system, involving a Volvo box, which disappeared under the car and emerged at the back and ended with a Merlin Motorsport Can.

This goes on the end of the exhaust and is supposed to take out about 5dB.

I got down from 105 to 93 and after a 15 second test ripped off 20 hours work and chucked it in a corner!

Where are you? You are welcome to borrow the Can if you can find a way to fit it. It should certainly get rid of 1dB

I used a balance valve from a ford KA, about £15 from ford and done the trick, bolts directly into the master cylinder, then the break line on to the valve.  

Hope that Helps

Sorry to hear about your "little local difficulty" Nigel. My Wunoff can is much quieter (in terms of actual exhaust noise) than the Westfield one. But it rattles like a pig. ???

Good Luck with sorting the items it failed on. :)

I've just spoken to westfield about the noise level, they say that it should of come out at about 100 db. I'm running with open bell mouths instead of filters , Does anyone belive that this would make any differnence to the noise level ? ???  ???

They have offered to check the exhaust out for me, if I send it up to them.

Does anyone belive that this would make any differnence to the noise level ?

Induction noise does indeed contribute... Also isn't running without filter/s risking a damaged engine, or have I missed something?

But no SVA compliant it's a twin master cylinder and bias bar job sorted

Why isnt this SVA compliant? The dax has this set up as standard and no problems with it at SVA

I didn't think you were allowed adjustable brake bias (or rather you are, but it's tested at both extremes of it's adjustment)?

Andy

Karl,

It it running rich as it failed the emissions test would this also contribute to the noise level ?

I would think so, more fuel=bigger bang, I got mine setup so it was the lowest it could be on the emissions but was a bit of a pig to drive.  Then after the test got the carbs properly setup on a rolling road.

Good Luck

Karl

P.S twin master cylinders with bias bar is acceptable as it is in a fixed position. An adjustable valve in the line will be tested at both extremes and fail(unless you can hide it somewhere the tester wont find it ;) not that many places on a westy i'm affraid.