Brighton Speed Trials

peterg

Well, it didn't rain, thank goodness..... posted a best time of 11.59 @ 120mph in fact my range was 11.59-11.77 and 120-121 mph so reasonably consistent   ;)  keeping the wheelspin down off the start was a problem and my 64ft times were only around 2.1-2.2 - but it was good enough for 2nd in class and only .4sec off the 'new' class record set by Duncan Barnes in a lighter Force. Oh, another 'constant' was the throttle pedal sticking down at the end of every run  :oops:  thought we'd fixed it after the second run but then it locked down completely at the end of the third run  :bangshead:  lucky the kill switch is handily placed  ;)  :D

I know Derek was having *ahem* gear selection problems again but didn't catch his or Julie's times and had to leave before the prizegiving etc hope they got sorted OK.

Best of all was the 8.87 @ 178mph of a bike on the last run of the day to smash the course record  :cool:

Good effort at your home event, Peter.

Do you take 'wing' off your car for the speed trials to help with top end?

I was out-of-town this weekend, otherwise I'd like to have popped down to see the WSCC guys in action. I haven't seen the times posted on teh B&HMC web-site as yet, but it'll be interesting to see how the Hodder car did against the opposition.

Well done, have you or anyone got any photo's.

I was helping the GF with a family Party so I could not come and watch you (she made it up to me :) )

I would like to do this my self next year, how do I get an entry I here it is very had to get into.

Were there any noise limits?

Yes! Having problems changing from 1st to 2nd @ 8500rpm

Spoke to Quaife this morning and the suggested a GL5 oil instead of the GL4/5

Any comments (constructive) welcome! (5 Spped Dogbox)

Only Managed 11.65s,  64ft 2.04s, Terminal speed 116mph

Julie Did a 11.90s, Terminal speed 116mph, I think she lost out slightly on the 64ft time.

The SBD was in the 10s mark and doing 125 over the line!

Just goes to show what a monster in realy is!

Delboy

Gazza, I just removed the 2nd elements from front and rear wings and left the relatively flat plane main wings as I'm assured they don't cause enough drag to worry about  ;)  

A guy called Jon Hilton has the next generation sister car to mine called the DJ ADS2 and has a turbo'd Hayabusa engine with around 270bhp and was posting 10.8@134 (IIRC) he told me the best he ever got out of his previous OMS with a similar GSXR1100WP engine to mine was 11.55@120 so I was quite pleased - I guess with practice and a sticky startline like Santa Pod I might just tip into the very high 10's but otherwise I just need more power  ;)  :D

Jan, re:entries for BST, you must be a member of the B&HMC and the entry forms are sent out on 1st June ONLY to people who have either entered the previous year or aked to be sent one  ;)  the quicker you get the form back the better although I'm fortunate in that mine is a small class so they take any they get  :D

echo Peter's comments, top day, but back at the back of the grid with the ordinary cars.....we managed 14.61s, 2.5 64ft, 92mph terminal. Just couldnt sort a reasonable start out, the temptation to give it large of the line is just tooo much in front of a crowd of a few thousand people :cool: loads of fun.

At one point was lined up behind a new bright orange lambo (which cooked its clutch for most of the day) and a new Bentley, followed by a Bugatti T35 grand prix car. I've got some pictures of the you guys on the return run, I'll try and get them posted.

Next year is 100th event, so would get in quick with you request for next years regs.

Steve

Just in case anyone is interested, the Speed Trials results are here - click on the 'All car results' for a spreadsheet of all entrants....pity they don't show practice runs as that was my fastest time  :bangshead:  :t-up:

Thanks Peter.

How cool is that: old boy Jim Tiller in his orange Cadillac powered Allard J2 (complete with ZZ-Top beard blowing in the wind!;) takes the overall car win (10.20 @140mph) over the hi-tech 4wd Puma  :t-up:

I remember that he took the car to some salt flat or other in the States to try to crack 200mph, but missed it by a 'whisker'  ... boom boom!

Edited

.. to say he's now using a 'Bow-Tie' engine in place of the Caddy

John L , (if you're out there):

... your 'old' Protune Xflow did a couple of mid-13 sec runs @ 99mph in a Striker (Tony & Matt Bent) according to the official results sheet.

Peter,

I must get a copy of that book!

Can I ask a question?

What's the difference between

Class 2. Roadgoing and Modified Production Cars over 1400 c.c.

&

Class 8. Sports Libre Cars over 1600 c.c.

Is the latter based on tyres or some other criteriour(spelling) ???

I think Class 8 is for 'seriously' non-roadgoing cars  ;)  :D

So a car like mine in class 'F' of the SS running 2.0L VX, Aero Screen & ACB10's would be in Class 2 ???

Wonder if i could beet an 11.37 by Darrell South in Caterham 7 ?????????

Might be close if Del Boy is doing a 11.65 with gearbox issues.

Anybody know what spec Darrell South's car is in. :suspect:

Darrell was using Dave Edmunds' car which is a pared down for race use only car with a 278bhp (IIRC) Cosworth BDX engine- Dave did a 10.95 in it himself but was only in the Handicap Class as he still has a 'B' licence  ;)

Dave's engine is/was for sale here  ;)