Certificate(s) of newness

deller

I aim to receive a new plate rather than a 'Q' plate when I go for SVA later this year. I have read about certificates of newness that tend to be provided when a component has been reconditioned. Is a certificate of newness just a statement that the component is as new or has been rebuilt as new and who can provide the certification? Does it have to be a recognised reconditioner etc?

On my build I have a new engine but I am stamping the number of a completely reconditioned pre 95 engine on to it so I don't need a cat. I have all the receipts etc. for this so this should be OK.

The only things of any consequence that are not new are the LSD and MT75 gearbox that came out of a 40K mile car and are not in need of any reconditioning apart from the casings have been sandblasted and now look like new.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I would need as a certificate of newness for these items? Would it be sufficient for a garage to provide a statement that they have been serviced to as new condition?

Thanks all in advance  :)

Yes I would get a certificate of newness but this is not garanteed to get you a new plate it really comes down to the individual inspectorate and how much of an  :arse: he wants to be about it!

Ive had troubles with these b******ds in the past tried regestring a new marlin for a non Q plate and it was all new parts used withrecipts and certifcates it was a  nightmare the nunney who came to see it claimed that the parts were only new if they were in a new state and of recent manufacture he also claimed that it was imposible to have a certificate of newness on reconditioned parts as they were exactly that and the cases etc were not new.

It took us over twelve months to get the car registered as new but as I say it depends how much of an  :arse: he wants to be about it

Good luck dont live in the south do you cos thats were we had to see the  :arse: hole

You are not entitled to a new plate as you will have more than one major component that is not new.

So you will have to magic up some receipts for the gearbox and diff that say they are new.

If you get documentation saying that they have been recondition to as new, you will not get the new plate !!!

Cheers

Bazzer

WARNING there not silly and they will check the validity of your recipts by looking at the condition of the parts ( there not afraid to crawl around under your car) so tread carefully or you could be caught out and look a little bit silly!

On my build I have a new engine but I am stamping the number of a completely reconditioned pre 95 engine on to it so I don't need a cat. I have all the receipts etc. for this so this should be OK.

Is this legal? I won't touch a car with a altered engine number with a barge pole. May also cause problems with the police and/or insurnce in the event of a claim. Where are you getting the engine number from?

John

You don't need a certificate of newness for a new reg. All you need is receipts saying everything is new (as in all the major components) except for one part.

As you need the engine to be not new for emissions purposes, then you need everything else to be new, the only possible exception is the box. The bike lot say it's all one unit which is fair enough, but I've heard of a V8 who pulled the same stunt and got away with it. Problem is you can hardly change your mind half way through the process and suddenly say your box is new;)

I had a 2nd hand engine and new box. The diff was new except for the casing, which I forgot to mention... I had a receipt for new diff internals that just said diff.

Do be careful though, you're very close to fraud.

thanks for the replies.

Jak .. if you buy a recon engine for example it is normally supplied with the engine number ground off. People then normally stamp the existing engine they are replacing. I already have a rebuilt may 95 engine that I was going to register the car with to avoid the cat and rather than put this engine in and then remove it I was going to just stamp the number on the new engine.

Any number can be stamped on a engine, it is only a means of indentifying a component. It does not need to be in any specific numerical or letter form. The number recorded at SVA will be recorded on the vehicles V5, it serves no other purpose.

As Paul states, many engine refurbishers/developers remove the manufacturers number and stamp their own identification.

A certificate of newness is a declaration form from VSOP signed by the applicant.

A certificate of newness is a declaration form from VSOP signed by the applicant.

My certificate of newness was supplied by the factory.

when presented to the dvla that was all they needed I through in a couple of other receipts for good measures.

The factory will only supply certificates if you buy all stuff from them !!

Any number can be stamped on a engine, it is only a means of indentifying a component. It does not need to be in any specific numerical or letter form. The number recorded at SVA will be recorded on the vehicles V5, it serves no other purpose.

As Paul states, many engine refurbishers/developers remove the manufacturers number and stamp their own identification.

Yes, but to do it to register the car under different emissions regulations than the current ones is IMHO very close to fraud.

If you get away with it fine if you dont ???

Yes you can get a manufacturer who built your car to issue a certificate of newness, but at the time of registration you still need to complete one from the VSOP. This what I had to do in 01/04.

I am reliably informed that engine manufacturers produce engines without numbers on them, one explanation is they sell direct to the motorsport industry. So thats why a number is an identification of component on a car with a V5.   ;)

Is it worth all the aggro to avoid a Q plate?

Q plates aren't that bad!

Can you plumb for an age related plate instead, if you could get a 1995 plate I think you could actually be better off than having a current plate.

so avoid the hastle.. get the log book from the oldest part of the car and take that with you. You can then get an age related plate on your car and from there you can transsfer your personalised plate!

look into it on the dvla site

It will take you weeks to get an inspection for a new plate.. I was going to try for an age related plate but it was a case of 'you can have an appointment in a week sir - but you might not be entitled to an age related... or I can give you a Q now!'

f**k it .. i actually want to drive the car *NOW* so i took the Q!!