Doh!

SteveF

Here's my 'top 5' list of thinge to remember check before going out in the Westie...

1. Petrol

2. Petrol

3. Petrol

4. Petrol

5. Petrol

Couldn't get out over the w/e so brought the Westie in to work so I could go for a blat at lunch time. Took a lovely route round some back roads around Daresbury / Frodsham / Norley, and was just on my way back to work, coming round a nice sweeping right hander alongside the motorway - when the Westie starts to chug - oh - oh  :(  ???  :angry: somethings wrong - pulled into a layby, and the engine died. Tried to restart it - no joy. Got out took the bonnet off - checked all the plug leads (a previous problem) - ok, checked the ends on the dizzy - then noticed - the fuel filter was empty  :blush:  :blush:  :(  - went back turned the ingintion on and sure enough - the guage read empty  :durr:  - but it was 1/4 full when I left this morning - then I realised just how far I'dgone  :D .

Luckily there were a few other cars in the layby & I asked each one of them if they had a can with some petrol - and they were all f'in diesels  :arse: (so thats what reps do in their lunch hour !;) ). Luckily one guy offered to give me a lift to the local petrol station to get a can and some fuel - so off we went to get it.

When we got back - I filled the tank, and tried to restsart - but no joy - it just cranked & cranked  :(  - the pump had obviously lost its prime. So next thing was to try and get the prime back - by sucking the line through  :0  ???  - I maybe a petrol head but petrol fumes taste awful!!! - tried to restart - no joy yet again. This time I tried repriming the pump by pouring petrol back down the pump outlet line (not easy from a petrol can) & all over myself - put it all back together and tried again. This time the fuel filter was filling - and it eventually startted  :D  :)  :D  :p

So just to recap on things to remember before you go out in the Westie - repeat after me ...

Petrol Petrol! PETROL!

Steve