Carrying petrol

gregh

Can anyone recommend a way of taking petrol to/from track days in Westie? would 2 x 10 litres fit in the passenger footwell along with other stuff like tool kit, oil, tape, w/screen cleaner etc etc.

Anywhere cheap in Leeds that sells 'em?

regards,

greg

I can carry a 20litre can in my Westfield  :D  :D  :D + tent + bag + beer + food + skid lid ( that was way before I got my mobile tent)

Machine Mart do some decent jerry cans with spouts  :D  :D  :D

Two 10 ltr red Machine Mart jerry cans fit in my foot well and a tall thin green plastic 5ltr one just goes under the dash passenger side tool bag on passenger seat with clothes bag and pack up wheels on wheel carrier.another flatter plastic 5ltr can where the handbrake used to be.

Paul.

Green 20litre jerry can is £25 from Halfords.  I bought one this week !

Green 20litre jerry can is £25 from Halfords

Which is great until you try fill it up at a petrol station with a jobsworth cashier who starts whinging about stuff that should be written on the can.

Green 20litre jerry can is £25 from Halfords

appear to be £15.22 from machinemart for a red 'un

they also do fixed and flexible spouts, which is best for filling a westie?

cheers,

Greg

Flexible I would have thought. That way the spout can be kept in the petrol filler no matter what angle the can is at.

Andy

Don't buy a flexible filler,  I bought one and it generally pours more petrol on the floor than goes in the tank (have a look in at the design and you can see the metal to plastic connection is pretty poor!;)  I have now bought a flexible funnel from halfords and it is much better.

Edited to say having read sams post I have seen a sign at my local Sainsburys to say that maximum allowed in a metal container is 10 litres and it must have certain marking, got to admit I have never seen this anywhere else.  I have filled my 20 litre jerry can at lots of petrol station around the country and never had any problems so far.

I've seen that sign in a number of filling stations near me, I think our local Asda has it.

Always ignored it when I had the kart and a green metal 20 litre jerry can mind ;)

Andy

Found this on the net with a quick search............

Press Release: Petrol Panic-Buying Motorists Advised Against Storing Petrol

Monday, 11th September 2000

(00/CEI/587)

Lancashire County Council is advising motorists who may be tempted by the current rush to top-up petrol to be safe and comply with the law on petrol storage.

Regulations only allow for approved containers (10 litre metal and 5 litre suitable plastic containers) to be used, with no more than 20 litres of fuel (approximately 4 gallons) in 2 containers to be carried in a car or stored at home (or within 6 metres of a building).

Storage above this amount is subject to a licensing requirement and motorists should be aware that any accidents involving highly inflammable petrol could be dangerous and economically damaging with home and car insurance likely to be invalid. Petrol retailers also have a legal duty to ensure that only approved containers are used.

Ooooooeer, any comments anyone...................

Well the nice man at Machinemart let me play with a few of their jerry cans, ended up with 2 x 10ltrs which will fit in passenger foot well.

However even on the short drive home they got *very* hot from touching the transmission tunnel I guess.

Is this anything to worry about when driving with them full of fuel.

:(