ignition/battery cut off switch

Jam

Hi,

just about to fit a cut off switch and not sure where to stick it. Can i get away with it on the dash-board or does it have to be outside of the car?    :durr:

Where do most tend to position it?

Looking to enter speed series next year.

By the way i am a WSCC member even though it doesn't say i am yet.  

Thanks.

Jam

Mine's on the dash. I think it depends what category you want to compete in as to what is needed and where you need to put it. There's a '2004 Regulations' Section on this website in Speed Series which may prove helpful.

I'm sure some of the SS guys will be along soon with a definitive answer.

Firstly ..... an engine cut-off switch is NOT a mandatory requirement for sprint and hillclimb cars  :D  :D  ;)  check out the Beginners Guide and MSA Blue Book.

If you are fitting one ........ its must be accessible by the driver when strapped into his/her seat  ;)  ;)  :D

And if fitted it must cut out and isolate everything, engine, fuel pump etc etc  :D  ;)

Doh!

Thanks Mark, v helpful.

I should have read the guide properly in the first place. I have it printed out in front of me and still didn't get it. How lame of me.

Might fit it anyway now i've got it.

Ta.

If you are fitting one ........ its must be accessible by the driver when strapped into his/her seat  ;)  ;)  :D

Naaa, If you mean a full electrical circuit breaker, it doesn't have to be accessible by the driver, it's not for the driver.

The blue book recommends either below the front or rear screen on the drivers side. Another convenient place to fit is the side of the scuttle.

The ignition switch must be accessible of course  :D

I have it printed out in front of me and still didn't get it

All you gotta do is ask  :D  :D  :D  :D  ;)  ;)  :D

The ignition switch must be accessible of course  
is yours ever off Kev  :D  :D  :D  :D

Actually Kev I think Mark is right:

2004 Blue Book

pp174/5

"All Sprint & Hill Climb vehicles must comply with the following:

10.6.1 Electrical

Must be equipped with an Ignition Cot Off switch having positive On-Off positions  clearly marked. The ignition cut-off system must be operable by the driver when normally seated with seat belts secured. "

This is in a grey background section i.e. new in 2004.

My understanding is that on a "car licenced for road use" this may be satisified by a standard Ignition switch (rather than battery master) if so marked.

If you fit a battery master then it must meet Q 8 as quoted by Kev.