• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Insurance Agreed values

p.thomas

Hi,

While I was building my car I took out a policy with FJ called a laid up or build policy. I was asked for a value and decided that if I had to buy the car from Westfield it would cost me about £18500 so thats what i said.

I have now converted that policy into a normal road use policy and the schedule says agreed value not applicable.

FJ says they do not do agreed values on kit cars.

What was the point in asking me for a value in the first place and what is the difference between a value and an agreed value?

If I made a claim what and who would determine the amount paid out.

Is it worth changing to a company who does agreed values.

My current premium is £189 fully comprehensive, only driver, 3000miles, excess £200 which I think is a good price but am I properly covered without an agreed value

TIA,

Peter..

Can't answer you questions, but I have agreed value through Adrian Flux.

Just had to submit 6 photos. Front, back, both sides, interior and engine bay.

Hey presto, policy documents about 4 weeks later.

FJ use an independent assessor for an initial value. When I made a claim, the assessor came back with what I considered to be a reasonable figure, in fact quite a bit more than I could have got for the car if I'd have tried to sell it before the accident. I spoke to Westfield who gave a higher estimate of the value and armed with this I wrote to FJ. They agreed my new proposed value without quibble and paid out.

Previous experience of agreed value insurance is it's expensive and you struggle to get the insurance company to agree to a realistic figure in the first place.

So, based on my experience, assuming you insure with FJ, I wouldn't be concerned about not having agreed value, keep photos and records, then argue about it if you need to.

Also with Adrian Flux, who will do the agreed value. My premium is very much the same at around £220 inc. recovery etc. so perhaps not 'far more expensive'?

Yep A.F. + 6 pickies

insured mine for the replacement cost i.e. the price I would have pay to buy a completed NEW car from the factory.