Loom

geofff

Hi All,

I felt my original deadline slipping so decided to buy the loom on ebay here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws....MEWA:IT

But I got beat to it by a kwazy_wabbit.

So what alternatives do I have? WF @ £201 - but does anybody know other suppliers?

Originally I was planning to build my own loom - I'm confident I could do it but uncertain of the amount of time. Has anyone gone this way?

Out to the garage :) - back in a couple of hours!

Ta

Geoff

I think Plays Kool can also supply looms  ;)  :D  :D  and perhaps SVC may know of folks in that field of expertise  :D  :D

If you're using standard stuff the Westfield loom does seem quite easy to install  ;)  :D

Hi,

I'll be adding Weber Alpha sub-loom then after SVA adding FIA kill switch, starter button and fuel pump switch. Seems a bit silly to buy the Westfield 'standard' loom then add / chop it so.

Or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? ???

Thanks

Geoff

Premier wiring 0800 0742789 will be worth a call. I rewired my whole car with one of his looms. £100 if I recall correctly, plus a few extra crimps and terminals etc.

Yep mountain and mole hill  :D  ;)  :D

Kill switch, start button and pump switch shouldn't require major mods to standard loom  :D  ;)  :D  ;)

Hi Guys,

I made my own loom, and to be honest I would'nt recomend anyone else do it.

It's not that it takes much brain power to do, and I'm an electronic engineer by profession so I had access to all the proper crimping tools - which u'll need cos the ones u get in sets from Halfrauds and the like are cr*p. It just takes bl*ody ages terminating all the wires, heat shrinking etc :down:  :down:  

I'm very pleased with the end result :cool: but if I were to do it again I'd buy one from somewhere and rip out the circuits u don't intend to use. Then add heatshrink and flexible trunking where needed. Should end up with a similar result at a fraction of the time

HTH

Ian.

but if I were to do it again I'd buy one from somewhere and rip out the circuits u don't intend to use. Then add heatshrink and flexible trunking where needed. Should end up with a similar result at a fraction of the time

I used a Westfield 'Mega' loom on my VX powered car, and did exactly as you described Ian. The basic chassis loom is all there, and terminates in the scuttle area with a couple multiplugs. This gives you the choice of

a) buying the 'dash' half of the loom to fit standard 'round' guages

b) buying the 'dash' half of the loom to fit the 'Stack' guage

c) making your own 'dash' loom up to fit whatever switches and dash you desire!

I chose option c) for the Locost, as I have adapted the digidash to fit out of an Astra GTE, and used Sierra column switchgear/ignition.

According to the catalogue, the 'Mega' loom is 123GBP. The 'dash' looms are another 102GBP. But if you are doing summat different in the cockpit, and/or you dont intend to run wipers, heater, washers, and stuff like that, it is an option worth considering, and would possibly save a bit of weight too...

Can totally recommend Premier Wiring - they are excellent.

Alan (chap who runs the place) is a demon when it comes to wiring and auto-electrics etc.

They sell a standard Lucas loom kit that we used in a Marlin Sportster build, very well documented and does exactly whats needed.

Alan also helped convert the DIN colour wiring (thanks BMW) to the standard Lucas loom that he sold us.

Highly recommended.

Will.

Hmmmm lots to think about,

I think I might call the factory, premier wiring and plays kool and see how I get on with each.

Thanks for the advice

Geoff

I had Paul at Playscool put one in mine.

Why is it evey time I describe a job done on my car it starts with the words " I got Paul at Playschool to ... "  :0:0:0:0

However, as with all the other jobs he did for me the standars of the loom were very high.

Lots lighter than the existing loom it replaced and there are only wires where there need to be no blanked off wires to confuse things.

HTH

Why is it evey time I describe a job done on my car it starts with the words " I got Paul at Playschool to ... "  :0:0:0:0

Because your salary goes directly into his bank account?  :D  :xmas:

Because your salary goes directly into his bank account?  :D  :xmas:

Good Point  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead: