Ariel Atom 2

Bananaman

402.jpeg

Atomic Power For Honda

race yourself for an atomic blast because Ariel has unleashed the Atom 2... with a little help from Honda. The Somerset-based manufacturer has signed a deal with the Japanese giant which allows it to drop Honda's 220bhp i-VTEC :D powerplant into the two-seater. The bare-bones car already boasts some of the most impressive performance figures around, but with the new 2.0-litre unit (right) shoe-horned into its lightweight skeletal structure, the Atom 2 could prove untouchable. Ariel director Simon Saunders told us: "The new Honda 2.0-litre is a brilliant engine, and in the Atom it is amazing." The VTEC unit means the Atom 2 should be less of a handful on the road, but it will provide huge amounts of power at 6,000rpm. Ariel expects between 240 and 280bhp from the ultra-reliable engine in unrestricted UK spec, which beats the 500bhp per tonne benchmark set by its key rival, the Caterham R500. Honda's help doesn't stop with the engine, either. The Atom 2 will also get the close-ratio six-speed gearbox from the sporty Civic Type R. And to lay all that power down effectively, the newcomer is to receive Honda's latest limited-slip differential. Prices will start at £24,000 for a standard road car, with a variety of options available from track tyres to a full racing spec with a massive 700bhp per tonne. :0  :0  :0  Saunders added: "Ariel is not into making thousands of cars a year - we want to build the best vehicles of their kind. The Atom 2 takes us to that goal."  

Article from: Auto Express

Latest edition of EVO reckons R400 is way ahead of Atom, altho' not this version of course..

Radical was rated as Track Car of The Year..

(one of 2 which they tested)

But where was the XTR2.....????

But where's the boot?

:p

Andy

But where's the boot?

At home washing the dishes.  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :0  :0  :0  :0  :0

Glad Hazel has no acess to this site. :p  :p  :p

I'm sure she could be informed somehow...

Andy

504kg/tonne eh? Impressive  :p

FWIW every Atom I've seen on track has been far slower than its spec suggested in should have been.

And they're utterly impractical and unfeasibly expensive too.

If it's inboard suspension and lightweight you're after - how about a nice Fisher Fury?  :D

I'm sure she could be informed somehow...

Don't.  :0  :0  :0  :0

FWIW every Atom I've seen on track has been far slower than its spec suggested in should have been.
Thats cos they used to have that Metro engine that cateringvans are sooooo fond of. :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:
And they're utterly impractical and unfeasibly expensive too.
First point soooo what :sheep: Second point £24,000 is cheap in comparison to an R500 / XTR2. :blush:
If it's inboard suspension and lightweight you're after - how about a nice Fisher Fury?
Allways quite liked these but think that they would be tooooo small for my frame. :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :arse:

An XTR2 is £25200 for factory built one, road legal with Track Day suspension pack and brake upgrade.

I know which I'd prefer to spend the money on...

Andy

I know which I'd prefer to spend the money on...

Care to inform us  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

180bhp in 470kg = 383bhp/tonne. pha!!!!!!!! :arse:

Now if they put the Honda engine in the XTR3 that would be a car. :love:  :love:  :love:

£24,000 is cheap in comparison to an R500 / XTR2

Sort of - an XTR2 has bodywork and was priced to take into account the fact that Westfield had to buy a whole motorbike to build one and an R500 has a very pricey engine, lots of trick leightweight parts which also cost plenty and ally bodywork. I spose on a £ per bhp/tonne it does OK but based on the price of the individual components (or lack thereof) it is a lot of money.

they would be tooooo small for my frame

You have seen me, haven't you?  ??? I'm a little rotund shall we say and at 5' 10 am a good 6 inches away from touching the pedals when sitting against the back panel - haven't got as far as putting a seat in yet.

And if wer're talking bangs per buck - a factory built R1 Fury gives - 160bhp in 400kg = 400bhp/tonne for £12k or so and that's with bodywork and a windscreen and even headlights...

My slightly tricked up one with rosejointed front suspension, twin cylinder adj bias brakes and various GJOB bits like two packed ally panels will come in at about £8k (+2 years of my life) , as long as I can keep it sensible with wheels, tyres, and diff - which I prolly won't.  :)

So I could buy three for the price of the Atom - one blue, one red and one white and then perform some sort of daring bullion snatch at rush hour.

Is that the time? I'm going home for me tea.

There's a guy in Manchester builing an Atom with the best part of 300bhp and is going to make the Nurburgring look like a Go-Kart track

Different means to the same end methinks!!!

Cheers

Dave

Lets consider for a second

Typical best lap time for UK kart track <60s, length <1km

Nordschleife 6m 11s, 20.8km

Like a go-kart track, get real :p  :p

And putting a TVR 6 in a Westy is clearly sooo sensible  :devil:  :devil:

And at least the £24k Atom would likely go 10,000 miles between services unlike the apparent 10 miles between rebuilds of the £25k XTR2  :0  :0

Of course I'd reserve judgement until I've driven both......

Any offers?  :blush:  :blush: