Tents

gregh

Ok, following on from the Mallroy thread, what should I look for in getting a cheap tent that won't get me wet!

There is a place near me in Leeds Barretts, which has around 5-8 sub £30 two man tents, so what details are important to look for?

Minimum I'll need is sleeping bag, foam mat and tent right?

regards,

Greg

I have a Blacks 3 man tent (which seems to have been discontinued, now that I've searched for it.....), which I take to Le Mans in it's reasonably small holdall. It's easy to erect and take down, reasonably light, and doesn't take up too much space

Also, don't underestimate the luxury of extra space. Buy a tent bigger than what you think you need.........

Check out the first tent here, by clicking the "Camping" link.

Manufacturers such as Blacks seem to have got the rights to build some of the older designs from people like Vango.  These seem to be fairly good value.  Check that the seams are well taped as these are the weakest points for waterproofing.  Sometimes the label will tell you what water pressure the outer cover will withstand.  If you can, get a geodesic dome type as these are the strongest larger tents if it gets windy.

I have a Vango tunnel tent with tension bands on the poles which has happily withstood storms in Scotland in winter and has loads of room.

AFAIK there is a Yeoman's store in Leeds (if not there's one in York) they often do bargain tents.

Check out Wilderness Ways (or whatever they're called now) nr the Merrion Centre.  They'll have the best gear in Leeds for a comparison of how well they're built.  Their prices will be at the higher end of the market though.

I'd suggest a 3 man tent for that bit of extra comfort and room to move.

lightweight dome tent, flexible one piece poles,

something like..

54020740.jpg

I'm firmly camped out on this BB, so you'll never peg me down.

Guy (G) might though..........

Barretts are good dealers - Also check out Tow-Sure they do an online service as well  :D  :D  :D

Makro are good for a cheap deal on tents, sleeping bags etc at this time of the year  :D  :D  :D  :D

Greg - if you don't get anything before Thursday send me a PM  ;)  ;)  :D  :D  :D  ;) by Wednesday night

I have a spare two man quick erect summer tent (i.e. No silver thermal lining) - Its tested waterproof and all that, but you'll need your own bag  :D  :D  :D and torch  :D  :D  :devil: