trackday insurance?

warren smith

hi

i have a trackday coming up in a few weeks and i'm struggling to get the car insurance sorted.

the car is insured through sureterm, i rang them but they couldn't get me covered for the track.

does anyone know of insurance companies that do one off trackday cover?

thanks

warren

I've seen CCC recommended.

They quoted me about 70 or 80 quid I seem to remember.

Andy

Pay close attention to the amount of excess, 'cos it's likeley to be .......er...... excessive........

And any accident cover is just that. If you blow an engine/gearbox/whatever, it's not covered, so it's *just* accident cover.........

Who's the trackday with?

I know BookaTrack do track insurance for their trackdays, apart from that I agree with Andy, Competition Car Insurance seem to be good.

I think BookaTrack use CCC anyway...

Chances of needing insurance are slim anyway so unless you want it purely for peace of mind, I wouldn't bother

I've seen CCC recommended.

I think BookaTrack use CCC anyway...

Insurance starts with an I fellas.....

CCC is a magazine......

[/pedant] :sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep:

Must admit, never had track cover, like Blatman says if you Juice your engine/gearbox etc.... your not covered, if you crash, hopefully you'll be OK & there wont be too much damage to the car, less that the excess on most policies from what i've heard (Not actually looked into it) but i belive for £70-£80 your excess is going to be arround £3000 :0  & if you want a lower excess, say £1000 your going to have to pay upwards of £200 :0  :0  :0 , makes it a VERY expensive day.

IMHO I would drive at 90% & save the dosh.

However if I owened a £50,000 porka or a £100,000 Italian Stalion, then i think i would have to look into it. :sheep:  :durr:

I'll 3rd the lack of track cover option. License to print money for the underwriters if nothing happens. If anything does happen, you'll probably not make a claim because of the excess. The only thing I ever worry about is 3rd party liability but (a) I'm not sure how that would apply on a trackday, (b) it's normally mitigated by how good the organisation is, © I'm only pushing if I'm on my own, (d) if someone's coming up behind you, then they're faster, so get out of way (let them know which way to go), (e) if you're coming up behind someone else, make every reasonable effort to let them know you're there...i.e. if they don't proactively get out of the way, assume they haven't seen you and follow them until they do, follow the overtaking rules as laid down by the organisers and never, ever, take a half chance....IMHO

You'd have to be very silly to crash on a track day. Would never happen to me. :blush:

I drove head on into a concrete pit wall in my barge and only managed to do about £1200 damage :

-PG?cookie&111&13726&320

So even cnsurance with £1k excess would have been fairly worthless. Having said that, bending a westfield chassis is quite easy to do in a prang, so you could be staring at a much fatter repair bill.

It's a risk either way but look at the value of your car and whether you could bear to part it out if the worst did happen make a choice from there.

If your current insurer won't cover you - and plenty will - CCI seem to be the choice.

One more good reason not to use Sureterm.

I use and fully recomend CCI for all my isurance.

I have never had to use my track insurance yet but when had to use my road insurance the total bill from Westfield to rebuild the car was over 7K.  That was just bolt on bits no engine or drive chain dammage.

If I can do that much dammage on the road against armco I know I could do worse on track.  

In my opinion yes insurance is expensive, but then so are repair bills if you don't have the time or knowledge to do it yourself.  

Rob

If you don't mind me asking a few pertinent question, Rob....

What's the premium?

What's the excess?

I agree it's nice to have, but the excess has rocketed in recent years to the point where it may not the economically viable in *lots* of cases......

The Sum assured is for 7k with a 1k excess.  

For this the premiun is £70.  Or if on a speed series event double header its about £90 for the two days.

I agree for small off's its not as viable but if you look to this year in the speed series there have been some big incidents that are not going to be cheap to repair.  

I suppose what you have to look at is what you want to pay. I would prefer to pay for the cover at every event and possible the excess but rather than the repair bills.  

Rob

A 1K excess certainly makes it far more worthwhile. There have been many reports over recent months of CCI's track day/race day excess amounts reaching up to and above 3 to 4K, which was the reason for my cautionary note earlier.

Maybe they've reviewed their policy's......

The Sum assured is for 7k with a 1k excess. .............For this the premiun is £70.

Is the £7k the value of the car or the maximum pay out.

Say the car's wothe £12k but the max damage you would be looking at is £7k i.e. chassis & body rebuild (using salvaged engine etc from car) ? or am I talking out my  :arse:  :sheep:

If the above is true (not the talking out my  :arse: ) then it may well be worth getting the cover.

With firms like CCI you can describe how much cover you want - when I first spoke to them they said they'd never seen a Caterham or Westfield so badly damaged that it couldn't be repaired and that typical repair bills were in the region of 5,000-6,000 pounds.

Only time I've bothered recently was at a wet Silverstone last year, and that was only because the car had been back on the road for just over a week.  I'd only bother with it now at circuits where there's a history or reputation for cars going off.  Cadwell, Oulton and Brands and maybe Donnington would be the ones that spring to mind first.