Brands hatch & Sealing fuel filler neck

Dracoro

Should be off to Brands Hatch on monday (full gp circuit too!;). Anyone else going?

Now I intend to take the back of my westie apart to have another go of sealing the rubber pipe that joins the fuel tank to the fuel filler neck/entry.

Anyone any ideas as to additional sealing incase the jubilee clips loosen again? Some tape or cloth tied round the neck to stop fuel leaking out? Maybe something to block the fuel neck so fuel can't rise to the neck area?

You should have enough length / overlap on your pipework and hoses so as not to pull off hoses enough under extreme cornering  ;)  ;)  ;) and get some high quality jubilee clips - they shouldn't really undo and come lose like that  ;)  ;)  :D

The pipe is long enough, but whats happening is that the jubilee clips are sliding along into the gap between the pipes and pinching the rubber there. This allows some fuel to escape. Maybe I need to do them up tighter? as they're fiddly to get to. I was wondering if it was because the rubber has lost its 'stretching' properties and thus pulling at the clips?

Suppose I can get some new clips from B&Q or suchlike.

You really want the spring open type of clips now favoured by car manufacturers for water hoses and such like. They have no screw fastening and simply spring open and clamp due to the shape and properties of the steel. They were designed to overcome the issue of clips coming undone.

Try your local main dealer - you may have problems getting the right size but it's worth a try.