• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Vibration/rattling at 2,600 RPM - any ideas?

Flagpole

I recently bought a Westfield and am delighted with it. The only problem is that there is always a vibration/rattle coming from the exhaust down the side at 2,600 RPM. Has anyone got any ideas what this could be?  It only happens at these revs and is definately worse when the car is warm.

Many thanks in advance.  :)

Cracked silencer?

If your silencer has a clamp around the tail pipe as a means of mounting it at the rear then it's not uncommon for a crack to appear in the end of the silencer.  I had this happen to two silencers on my old car, they were both the same - a hairline crack in the end plate of the box next to the weld where the tailpipe exits.  Only happened at certain revs and only when warm :(

As for a solution - not too sure, I got both of mine replaced under warranty - otherwise you'll have to get it welded up and/or reinforced I guess.

Mike

Could be the heatshield, if you have one. Also check for loose bolts securing the collector the the silencer inlet.

Basically, check anything on the exhaust that isn't a solid piece of pipe....

Mine did it at 1800 rpm, but after tightening all the bolts on the clamps and the rubber rear mounting it went away.

It didn't prevent the silencer to fall off yesterday, though!

Some repackable silencers have a perforated tube running the length of the silencer. They're only fixed at one end and as the packing compresses they may get a little loose at the other end. You may be able to take the end off the silencer and either squash the tube end slightly so it's a tighter fit, or put some exhaust assembly compound round it to seal it to the tailpipe.

Kevin