Beware of this Scam -

gee_fin

Talked about on here -

http://212.53.73.128/cgi....3269769

They've tried to get me (not sure from which ad whether one from WSCC/Fluke/Racecar/Yahoo BEC) already.

Basically, someone contacts you about an item you have for sale, usual relevant email questions back and forth and then they ask to do a partial cheque and Western Union for the balance.

Just a headsup that it appears to be the new Internet scam :(

There's some bad people out there kids  :bangshead:

Graeme.

i cant believe that out of 140 ppl that have viewed this no one has replied to thank you for warning us.

thanks very much.you might have saved a lot of ppl a lot of money.

darren

Watch out for this guy.......he has been stringing me along about buying my pinto engine......his email address is j_walter1@elvis.com

Here is a recent email......

"Hi, i am really really sorry for the delay, there was a slite mistake, my brother wrote the draft to a wrong address and name , which i just corrected. yesterday. i am sure you will receive it soonest, thanks alot i really appreciate your patience. john On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:58:42 EDT, SMackayrc@aol.com wrote: John, Which shipping agent will you use?We use FransMaas normally for european freight. What are your full bank account details.......we will transfer any money left over on an IBAN transfer.......I am not happy giving money to an unknown shipping agent. Stuart "

Watch out for him!!

I have had a similar e-mail:

Thanks for the email, . I am okay with the last price you gave me (£4500.00) and the condition is okay too. I will contact my client that will issued the check of £7,500 and you will deduct your own money there and send the excess funds to my shipping company that will come up for the pick up of this Westfield SE, bcos i dont want you to bother about the shipping bcos they are the one that is taking care of whatever i purchase and i will like to have this information from you so that i can be able to forwarded it to my client that will issued you the check.Here is the information needed stated below:

Your Full Name

Address

City

Zip Code

Telephone #

State

Country.

Pls get back to me asap with this information above so that the check can be issued to you quick.Hope to read from you soonest.

I asked for his FULL details and could confirm any of them!

This is the third suspicious buyer? I have had....

The scam isn't new and had been around for a while.

Basically they send you a cheque / bankers draft / pet goat and when you cash it the money appears in your bank.  So you merrily send the money off by Western Union and keep the balance.

Except you then get told by the bank some time later that the cheque was stolen / forged and they withdraw the funds from your account leaving you out of pocket and minus whatever you were selling.

Usual clues are crap English, copying text straight out of your advert in such a way that it doesn't really flow when you read the e-mail, lack of phone numbers, hotmail or other generic e-mail addresses, etc., etc.

Basically, anything which seems dodgy usually is.

Have asked my "Buyer" to send cash now......that should be interesting :devil:

I've recently encounted an unusual variation on this type of scam where I responded to a for sale advert - I discussed the item for sale with the seller. I obtained what I though was a mailing address for him from the internet - and sent him a cheque for the goods ( but I didn't sign it :blush: ). After further email discussions I obtained another mailing address from the seller, and sent a further cheque (signed this time), and arranged the collection of the goods to be in a couple of weeks time.

The goods have now been collected - but the cheque hasn't been cashed ??? - I'm just wondering what the scam is likely to be? - maybe I'll find a set of lighweight 3 piece alloys arriving on my doorstep with an invoice marked 'paid by cheque' on it? ;):D

That will be your cheque being used as a MAster for them to forge further copies then will it?? :devil:

Id put a stop on it sharpish......

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.