Minardi 1st and 2nd

Fat Albert

The FIA rule changes finally achieved what stock cars have known for years, that putting the fastest cars at the back will liven up the race  ;)  ;)

Verstappen & Wilson were more than 2 seconds faster than everyone else in first qualifying for the French GP

Keep going Blatters, one day it'll be your turn  :p  :p

I still don't see the point of the Friday qualifying session. It makes no difference to the qulaifying on Saturday other than they now get to go last instead of first. They'll still be on the back of the grid on Sunday

I think it would be better for the Friday qualifying to determine the order that drivers pick a Saturday qualifying spot, i.e. they all qualify as they do currently, then on Saturday morning they get together and take it in turns to pick a qualifying slot. Driver that qualifies first gets first choice and so on. Therefore, if it looks like rain might fall late in the session Saturday, you choose an early slot to ensure you have a dry lap, and if its a wet track but the skies are clear, you pick the last qualifying slot to allow it to dry as much as possible.

Chris

It'd be far more entertaining for the races to start with the quickest at the back.

If Schumy had to make his way through the field, at least we'd see a bit of a race.

One suggestion made was for the top ten qualifiers to score points for their qualification, then start near the back. So you could take the 'strategy' decision to qualify well and 'bank' some points, but start at the back, or qualifier lower down, get no points but a good grid slot.

Interesting...

Andy

It'd be far more entertaining for the races to start with the quickest at the back.

If Schumy had to make his way through the field, at least we'd see a bit of a race.

I see what you're after :t-up: but where would be the incentive to put in a quick qualifying lap ???

David

That was one of the reasons for the 'points for qualifying' method I mentioned. You can choose to qualify well and get points, or qualify 'less well' to get a good grid slot.

Can't remember the details of what was proposed, but it was along those lines.

Andy

The issue for me is the rule making process, the big teams veto any rule changes which threaten them continuing to be the big teams, they also 'buy' any talent which the little teams produce  :angry:  :angry:

In my view motor racing is about overtaking, so framing the regulations to encourage overtaking would be the first step.

1. Ban carbon brakes, wings, and all driver aids especially traction control

2. Make all fines for driver/team transgressions a percentage of their salary/budget, that would bring a tear to the Schumacher/Ferrari eye  :0  :0 and more importantly, change the team bosses view regarding compliance

All in all, more power to Stoddart's elbow and I hope he does comply with the rules, run his cars without electronic aids and then protest all the other teams at Silverstone but no doubt the big teams will buy him off :blush:  :blush:

[/Mild Rant]

I can't understand why folks still watch F1  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???  :(  :(  :(  :blush:  :blush:  ???  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:

You'd all be better off going out and watching a club hillclimb or sprint event, no overtaking granted but at least you'll see people driving with pride instead of a huge paycheque

IMO of course

Cheers

Dave

Gotta agree 100% there with you Dave  :D  :D  :D

I've also been to a few 750MC meets this year with Dickie B  :D  :D  :D  and the racing has been superb - Formula Vee, Stock hatch, locost, BEC and CEC kit cars - they always put on a good display and its generally close stuff  :D  :D  :D  :)  ;)

The BARC Westfield Series has always been very entertaining and well worth missing any Grand Prix for  :D  :D  :D  :D  ;)

You can stop and talk to most drivers and have a good nose around the paddocks - its social and entertaining  :D  :D  :D

and P.S. Also worth taking a look at is the Historic Group C stuff - two of our club members also partake in that Neil Clark and Ian Stinton both driving Harriers - some awesome cars and a good spectacle  :D  :D  :D