Which Sump?

roodboy

H i to all,

I`m currently on the lookout for a new sump to fit to my VX 2.0 ltr. XE engine.  (I`ve currently got a standard shortened one with a hole in it)  I need as much ground clearance as possible so would appreciate any advice coming my way.  

I`ve looked at the SBD baffled sump which measures 100mm according to their website but the westfield one measures 85mm.  So at the moment I`m leaning towards the Westie one.  I`m sure lots of you have experience with both so any recommendations will be greatly received.  

Thanks Roodboy

I have seen both side by side-and they are *virtually* identical. A friend of mine bought the SBD sump, and I bought the Westfield sump.

Dont rule out QED, they apparently sell a suitable sump too, which is supposed to be even easier on the pocket.

For maximum ground clearence-and peace of mind-a dry sump is the way to go. Not the cheapest option, but if track days and sticky tyres are your thing, it might be worth considering... :t-up:

A dry sump system is actually only £691,50 + VAT from SBD(which isn't bad). Kit includes CC type pump and 5l Sump tank.

(and I have no affiliation with SBD)

Yep sure is ring them and they will send you one. I was talking about the wet sump being the cheapest of the bunch. Must say though that QED and SBD have been very helpful with advice so far.  :t-up:

mike you sure that includes the tank

any way you can still add on another £100 for bits like oil pipes and front pulley and new alternator and bracket etc etc soon adds up. :p

Yeah. That included £128 or something for a tank. I think connections between pump and sump are included, but not between pump and tank (two lines, four connectors...not much ££).

im surprised at them prices i was quoted a lot more than that and im sure the tank was another £140+vat. plus you need four more hoses min. feed from tank to pump, return to tank from pump,and pump to remote oil filter , filter to engine block. more if using oil cooler. :D

I'm a stout believer of the blue Aeroquip FC322 push-on hose. Lighter and cheaper.

I think I just said that the hose and couplings between sump and pump were included. Just look at the SBD pricelist and you'll see it.

There are two kits there, one with the smaller CC pump and one more expensive with the Slim Jim pump.

I'm intending to call them tomorrow and find out the differences and if it really is worth the extra £140-ish for the SlimJim pump or not.

I've already got clearance from the missus to spend £700 on dry sump, providing she gets to go to "a major city in Europe for a weekend of shopping". Ouch. Very very expensive dry sump.  :D  :D  :D

I'm a stout believer of the blue Aeroquip FC322 push-on hose. Lighter and cheaper.

I think I just said that the hose and couplings between sump and pump were included. Just look at the SBD pricelist and you'll see it.

There are two kits there, one with the smaller CC pump and one more expensive with the Slim Jim pump.

I'm intending to call them tomorrow and find out the differences and if it really is worth the extra £140-ish for the SlimJim pump or not.

I also use the Aeroquip FC322 hose and it's proven to be fine.  You need three hoses - tank to pump, pump to engine, pump to tank.  The scavenge hoses / fittings are indeed included.

The prices for the dry sump system *don't* include a tank - it's the pump, brackets, sump pan and the chunk of aluminium which bolts onto the front of the engine.  Although I'm assuming your price is using the compact C pump hence you can get the tank included for under 700 quid ?

I use the Slim Jim pump on my engine solely because it allows you to run the engine sealed which tidies up the breather hoses.  You can run the cam cover sealed so it's neater.

mike

yes sump to pump pipes are included.differance in pumps are slim jim pump can pull a vacuum on engine so you can blank off all vents on engine and just breathe at oil tank.with cc pump not so powerful so still need to have engine breather pipes,if you using new front cover [replacement for oil pump]you will need to use sbd front pulley to miss oil return pipe to engine ,also mount alternator on inlet side,[so small alternator needed]remote oil filter if not already got.new cam belt front oil seal and gaskets,it soon adds up. but its worth it mike. :bangshead:

Oooh, snap !!

And ding to everything Pete said.  I think by the time my dry sump was all fitted it was the best part of a thousand quid.  But worth every penny.

sorry nick you must be reading my mind :D  :D  

same here £1000+

mike

try  pace thats where i got mine from they make them for sbd

ask for neil patterson ,very nice bloke

may do discount for cash ???  :D