Ferry crossings

JamesD

I am planning a trip to Northern Spain late August and was hoping to draw on the experience of this forum.

I have a few questions:

1) Anyone know where I can book a ferry cheap?

2) Anyone know of any campsites down there?

3) Any problems getting a Westy on and off a ferry  ???

I have never driven on the continent before so any advice would be usefull, the 2000 mile round trip seems quite daunting.

Regards,

JD

(3) Any problems getting a Westy on and off a ferry

I did Plymouth/Santander and found the ferry people very helpful... ask if you can be loaded on the main deck.

Up side is you only have the boarding ramp to do, no internal ramps. Downside is you will be one of the last cars loaded.

(2) Anyone know of any campsites down there?

There are lots and lots.

so any advice would be usefull

Be prepared to have your picture taken - a lot :D  The people are very keen on 'sportscars'.

Some of the Blatchatters have recently come back from a trip to Spain and have done it before I gather.

I'm sure they would pass on any tips.

Try contacting some of them as seen here

Sounds like fun!!

HTH

1) Anyone know where I can book a ferry cheap?

Stick "Ferry crossing" in to Yahoo/Google........

Also, you could try booking the crossings you want, so that you *know* you've got them. Find out how late you can cancel without penalties, then try to do a last minute deal for less money, direct with the ferry company. FWIW, for Le Mans this year, an advance booking for the ferry was expensive (like £400+ when I wanted to book). I heard from two reliable sources that bookings could be had on the Monday/Tuesday before Le Mans for around £100........me, I didn't want to leave it to chance.........

3) Any problems getting a Westy on and off a ferry  

You shouldn't have a problem, even getting on the upper deck BUT, make sure you realise just how loaded down the car is. One car each way this year on the Sea Cat ripped their side exit exhausts off on the entry/exit ramp. If you're unsure about ground clearance, ask your passenger to get out (to increase ground clearance) while you cross the threshold. Also, watch out for the truck tie downs on the deck. They're high enough to cause damage too, but are easily avoidable.

Thanks for the advice,

Quoting about £269 at the mo...

I will definetly book as there is 4 of us, 2 in a tin top (support car).

Looks like i will have to arrange european breakdown and then bon voyage  :t-up:

For the record if nothing else.

Tow barge plus trailer for the westfield is £157 for Dover - Calais via Sea France. Have to go out early and come back late to get those prices usually.

Normally chepaer than the ferry company website, although wasnt when we booked up for Spa. :angry:

Booked through Motorsport Travel

Telephone: 01759 301010

Hi James

Spain thats just down the road a bit

No.1 Try Dover

No.2  Beware of the Basques

No.3  No only with some of the drivers

Regards TAFFY

Sea France & ask for times for "Rodin" ferry sailings. I got a 5 day return to Le Mans for £30 (they gave me a £15 fuel voucher when I checked in).

Eurotunnel wanted £188 for the same thing!

Hope this helps?

Windy