Tyres

Buzz Billsberry

HI yall

I'm looking to replace my knackered  S02's. Altho I will not be doing anything else in the speed series until 2006 I still want a good road tyre. What are the Yoko A538's like?

Apols If I've put this on before or someone else as asked but I'm feeling s**t after picking up a bit of food posing at Elvington yesterday.... feel fantastic mega temp, stomach  churning like a cement mixer, headache like AC/DC in concert and the infamous winking eye  :(  :(  :bangshead:  :suspect:  :blush: . I've so enjoyed my weekend with no alcohol.

I'll stop rabbiting on now :blush:

Buzz

P.S Thanks for your help

Yoko A538's like?

I think you mean 539's  :D  :D  In which case they're round and black  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D

Pete

If you aren't doing anything else in the SS until 2006 then I'd wait a while before purchasing tyres for competition - you can bet your last dollar that 2005 will see a new tyre and favourite appear on the scene  ;)  ;)  ;)  :D  :D  ;)

Yoko A538's like?

I think you mean 539's  :D  :D  In which case they're round and black  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D

Pete

If you aren't doing anything else in the SS until 2006 then I'd wait a while before purchasing tyres for competition - you can bet your last dollar that 2005 will see a new tyre and favourite appear on the scene  ;)  ;)  ;)  :D  :D  ;)

Cheers Mark-good point about a new tyre coming out. I might just go for the 539's as my front tyres are down to the makers the rears are fine.

Buzz

and the infamous winking eye  :(  :(  :bangshead:  :suspect:  :blush: .

Hey Buzz - you should put some cream on that "Winking Eye" mate.  Is it sore when you sit down?

Seriously though - I have had the same set of Yoko A539's on my car for the past two years.

It is fair to say that they are probably past their best now as they have probably gone a little hard - but there is still plenty of tread left.

I know Ash has driven with both the 539's and the SO2's - and declares the 539 to be better in the wet - but the SO2 muuuuuuuuuuuuch better in the dry.

Westy is driving on some new Bridgestones - don't know the number - but reckons these are the dogs also. :)

I wouldnt use the term the dogs but they are certainly better than the squealing toyo's that were on there before, of course these were buffed I have no experience on them with full tread.

They certainly arent as good as the SO2's that originally came with the car and Im gutted I wore those out and couldnt use them this year  :( It does make for a handy excuse against ARM though ;)

I'm of the opinion not only is the type of tyre important but also the condition.

Seems to me the Toyo Proxies, Bridgestone Re 720's, Falken ZE 512's are all popular and can produce good times. Not sure if any are better or worse under most conditions than the Bridgestone S02's and thats because the S02 was so widely used it was bound to be associated with good results. But dont forget all of the bad results competitors had on S02's.

So getting the tyres to the right depth and compound (shaving) is important as is the age and history of that particular tyre.

When I need to look to replace then I think the Re 720's or Falkens will be fine based on the times Windy and John Palmer have managed. So long as those tyres are shaved to the grippy rubber and not abused and cooked on a track day.

Thanks 4 your help guys I think I'm sorted... well once I've spoken to Rob Navaoh I might be!

Buzz

I'm running quicker now on Toyo Proxes that I did on SO2's !