Foreign registered cars

steve_m

If I bought a car from France on French plates, how long can I keep it in the UK on French plates ?

Is there a problem registering older cars in the UK ?  

Thanks, Steve

Don't know about cars, but we registered an E reg. motorbike that had come from Portugal with no probs at all.

For proper info, look here:

DVLA FAQ on Import/Export

Or for other DVLA info their whole website is pretty good :)

Ali

Mrs Catflap  :)

If its anything like registering a southern irish car in the north of ireland then its not a problem.

Beware of the VAT man though. If you are importing the car for permanent UK use then VAT is due on the car import within 30 days of the date of import at its full UK value.

If you are a UK resident then legally the car should be registered here immediately. ie. vat, car tax, mot if required (make sure the car is up to UK spec) As a UK resident you may have difficulty insuring the car if its not Uk registered and UK spec. When you go to tax the car and change the registration the tax office will ask for a receipt for the car and will notify swansea who will send a vat demand for payment within 30 days.

if you have a french address then it might be easier to tax and insure the car in france and then use it legally in the UK.

if its older than three years old you have to get it MOT'd.

you can download a form from customs and excuses, fill it in and send it to them with your recipt for the car and any French doccuments. if you brought the car back yourself make a note of this on your form. they send you a demand (i asked them why they couldnt be polite and call it a bill?)

pay this and they send you a recipt.

send this off to your VRO with MOT, insurance and V55/4 or V55/5.

they send you your reg details and tax in the post.

about four weeks after that the DVLA will send you documents for the car. these will no doubt be wrong in some way shape or form !

send V5 back to them with a snotty note and you will eventually get a correct V5.

you can give your insurance the French reg and they will cover you untill they get new reg.

if you need anymore help give me a shout, brought a car back from Switzerland the other month.

Carl