Wheel Tyre advice

bultacobarry

Just getting used to my first westfield an 1998 SE with 2.1 pinto. Have hillclimbed it, but really just learning how to drive properly. Problem I have is grip. It does not have an LSD, I will fit that next year. But I'm still convinced the wheels are too big. It has 16x7.5j wheels with 225/40 Yoko's. It looks great but grip even in the dry is not wonderful. I am going to borrow some wheels to try. Can anybody give me some advice as to what wheel/tyre size I should aim at ? 13" or 14", rim width & tyre size. Thanks Barry

13" 185 x 60's all round or if you like put 13" 205 x 60's on the rear.

You now only need to choose the make and model of tyres

Yoko 048's are good all rounders £65ish each +vat

Woooooow

Hold on a miniute.

If you are going to carry on Hilclimbing and sprinting the car be careful what tyers you buy.  If you are going to run in a road legal class the 48's will be illigal and will put you in another class as they are not in List 1A of the blue

book.

If  you do need to go smaller then 13's would be the choice over 14's as the choice in tyre is bigger.

However there are quick cars out there running 15's and some running 16's ( The Duck runs 16' with Falkens and is a quick guy.)

Before you go throwing money about think what you want to use the car for first to avoid any costly mistakes.

HTH

Rob

Thanks for the advice, I will stick to the blue book road legal class, I compete in the 8v up to 2.5L road legal class in Northern Ireland. I was not going to spend a lot of money, the guy I got the car from spent 1200 quid on the current wheels/tyres, I will keep them for the road as they look great. Was planning on getting second hand 13" wheels and fitting with good tyres, so 185/60 then, thanks  Barry

I have tried from 15psi - 30psi in 6psi intervals and got the best result at 25psi. The rest of the guys on the hillclimb circuit are on 13-15 inch wheels with higher profile and seemed to be running between 15-20. Barry

List 1a tyres that seem to do well at the moment are Yoko 539 or Bridgestone RE720's.  Both will give you a lot more grip when new and when buffed down to the wear bar.

Falken are starting to get some good results in the hands of John Parmer but John could be driving round on elastic bands and would still get good results :D

got the best result at 25psi

Well Im not an expert but thats a lot of rubber ya got there

225/40 Yoko's

The car weighs not a lot,so to me, 25psi seems mighty high.

I think most guys run 15 to 18 with 20 psi tops.

So your car running with those tyres at 25psi it might not be getting the grip it could with (say) 18 psi.

13 inchers have got to be better for racin but you should have loadsa grip with what you got! IMHO.

Rob