Windows SP2

Major Stare

I'm guessing XP as that's the latest service pack to be released... I think.

Should i install Windows SP2 update?

Ive heard it can cause problems and it's not the best update to install??

???

Don't see why not.  I doubt there'll be SP3 as Longhorn is on its way.

There have been questions about it but only because from huge organisations who need to test it with all the other desktop applications they use before they can commit to a roll out.  As an individual I see no reason why you shouldn't do it - if you can download it!

Mike

We've tested it extensively against our current suite of core applications AND some of the older apps that are still in use.

We have unconditionally agreed that it will form a part of our core build although we have a few reservations, mostly to do with the firewall. Whilst we agree that it is a leap ahead of their previous variant, we will not be implementing it.

My company accepts that the Microsoft of old, the one which only seemed interested in earning money at the expense of the people who bought their dodgy software, has been replaced by a Microsoft that genuinely wants to build a good reputation. Therefore whilst we still believe their firewall isn't up to the Cisco/Linux/BlackIce variants we prefer, it is a step in the right direction. If you are a home user, we would strongly recommend your using their firewall, for it will stop the vast majority of opportunist attacks on your computer.

For those that are using any other firewall, be aware that the SP2 firewall is switched on automatically after install, so you'll need to switch it off.

I'm using it on one of my PC's, just to see how effective it is. So far so good. All my other PC's are behind a Toshiba-written Linux firewall. You'lve no hope of cracking that.  :p

We've tried it on a few PCs and only had one real problem so far for which there is a documented fix from Microsoft.  This problem meant that some users could no longer access secure web sites.  The fix involves deleting the users profile from the pc when logged on as an administrator.  Can be a bit of a pain but if you backup things like the desktop first you should be ok.

Mike