Weight saving

stu.graham

Yes I got caught with no washer bottle at the last MOT !.

I was told that some method was required to wash the screen :0

I did say that in the event of needing to clean the screen I stood up and urinated on it !.

The mechanic called my bluff and asked me to demonstrate this (NB. The MOT station is in the village High Street) I bottled it  :bangshead:  :bangshead: (To use the Pun)

Fortunately I managed to recover the screen wash bag from the workshop bin and re-fitted it    :cool:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• westy

• stu.graham

• Rob Navin

• Westfieldman

Stu,

What sort of battery do you have?

I walked around the paddock at Curborough at the last meeting - and was amazed at the number of people still using Halfrauds best (or should it be worst?).

These are huge battery's - which must weigh a ton - and pose a serious danger should the worst happen and the car hit the bank or something.  All that acid - look what happened to Scott with just boiling water.

I have a red top gel battery fitted (lying down) on the bottom chassis rail - sort of underneath the exhaust manifold.  (before it starts - the battery is about 8 inches away from the nearest pipe and if protected by reflective tape).

Red top weighs 1.6kg.  

Just a thought.

By the way - had my car weighed in January;  688kg without me in it.  The obvious biggest weight to save is my lard A***.

The water bottle container will be replaced with a bag type  :D (dont fancy getting my tackle out on the M6 :oops: )

Paul got a Red Top 25(??) mounted on the bulk head

Have been looking at Westfields lightweight hubs and uprights, has anyone got any comments on these and if there are any others suppliers (I know CAT do them)

Cheers

Stu

The lightweight hubs are deffo worth it (CAT). Lightweight uprights? You mean the ally ones?

Derek hodders "incident" at Anglesey last yr put me right off those.

I've got red top 30 mounted at end of passenger footwell.

I would not use a "wet" acid battery

Agree with the battery idea, most standard batteries are 12kg ish and mounted high up or far foward.

However this seems optimistic.

Red top weighs 1.6kg.

Most light batteries are 5kg ish

Carl

Scott - yes mean the allyones. Werent Dereks different to the Westfield ones ie it was the length of bolt used which failed and not the upright

???  ???  ???

Red top weighs 1.6kg.

Most light batteries are 5kg ish

Carl

Odyssey 680 =7kg's on bathroom scales (I know cos I've just weighed it) however I think that they must over read by about 20% as they say I weigh over 15 Stone.... :oops:  :D  :D  :D  :p  :p  :p   :down:

I had a look at these and they seem to be good quality to me.  Not sure if there is a final solution on the steering arm as yet as they guy was talking about adjusting them to improve the accumen angle.

Nice bits though :D

Werent Dereks different to the Westfield ones ie it was the length of bolt used which failed and not the upright

IIRC this was a bolt TYPE problem........

Agree that Red Tops generally weigh in at the 6kg mark.  What I didn't tell you is that mine is not actually a red top per say.  My good freind (just the one I know) earns a living by designing weapons guidance systems for Apache helicoptors.  My battery is off the forward mounted gun installation for one of these machines - and is v high output + v low weight.  It wieghs 1.6kg honest.

Before you ask - no, I can't get anymore.:)

Werent Dereks different to the Westfield ones ie it was the length of bolt used which failed and not the upright

IIRC this was a bolt TYPE problem........

error accepted then :D