Weight saving

stu.graham

Well winter is coming and the budget is being drawn up for those long winter nights in the garage :D

Im looking to strip a good few killos this winter after a weigh in at Ash's (it was like a flyweight against a heavy weight :( )My car was around 760kg with me in it. The car is a SEiw, 2.0 vx. To date I have put fibre glass seats in , polo rad and ordered light weight brake discs. The heater will be coming out :p  :p

Any suggestions/ ideas of shedding  more killos ???  ???

Cheers

Stu

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• westy

• stu.graham

• Rob Navin

• Westfieldman

Stu

My car is fairly light.

Feel free to have a look at what else you can do when we get to Ty-croes.

There are savings that cost cash and some that just cost time ( as long as you have got lots of drills and hacksaw blades )

Rob

The car is a SEiw, 2.0 vx.

Fit a Duratec should be 40kg's lighter

Race leader  alloy uprights

Nitron dampers

SBD widetrack

GKN lightened lobo joints

SPA steering wheel

R500 wheels

ACB10's

Bin all the things you don't need

Alloy clutch and throttle pedals

Fit an aero screen

I haven't weighed my widetrack stuff yet, but I'll bet it weighs more than the standard track 'bones. More metal... Plus add in the SBD chassis mods (adding metal to the chassis), fitting SBD wide track probably isn't a weight saving option....

fitting SBD wide track probably isn't a weight saving option....

Was on my car the wish bones are lighter both outer joints are lighter and this more than made up for the rose joints on the inboard end and the track rod ends are now rose joints

Carn't remember I weighed them at the time and it was a bit lighter

Ball joints to rose joints save a bit on the outer end

SBD's wishbones are thiner tubing

so when every 100g's or 4 oz's is added up the overall weight is noticeable

Its like looking after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves [blatters you should be able to relate to that or so I am told] :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

out of interest, has anybody tried to remove the top mountings for the inertia reel seatbelts? they look like they're solid, pretty heavy and not used by people with harnesses. just wondering how much they weigh and how hard they are to remove?

Not sure about weight but I have seen a couple of cars where they have been removed. I was thinking about it as I intend fitting a harness. Think WF do a trim strip which fills the gap so it must be quite common.

Mitch

Should be fairly simple if you are handy with a grinder :D

I removed mine, but had to go out and buy a new grinder half way through!

They weigh over a kg.

So on the usual rule of thumb of 100quid per kilo saved that applies to wheels, brakes etc, it was a worthwhile mod even when the new grinder is taken into consideration.

I made a jig up to ensure the chassis didnt get damaged, and the cut was straight and flat.

they look like they're solid, pretty heavy and not used by people with harnesses. just wondering how much they weigh and how hard they are to remove?

understatement of the year!  :D

Ive got the ones i removed in the garage so I'll post a pic.  The boss isnt only welded on the top of the chassis rail.  The bottom of the boss where it meets the chassis rail is turned down and it connects up with the underside of the chassis tube.

Ive just stuck them on the scales and they weigh 875 grams with plenty of angle grinder marks..  Probably nearer 1kg when in one piece

There not the easiest things to remove as they are connected from the bottom.  I just cut all the way round and then got the correct 4lb screw driver and bashed the living daylights from it.... they came out eventually

cheers

mark