Weight saving

stu.graham

Seems like alot of hassle to remove 1KG from your car, which is going to make b******* all difference on the track.

Anyone sell carbon fibre laces for my race boots?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• westy

• stu.graham

• Rob Navin

• Westfieldman

which is going to make b******* all difference on the track.

your wrong. every little helps. four more ideas like that and I've saved 1%... doesn't sound much does it? thats an improvement in acceleration deceleration and cornering.

which is going to make b******* all difference on the track.

your wrong. every little helps. four more ideas like that and I've saved 1%... doesn't sound much does it? thats an improvement in acceleration deceleration and cornering.

Unless your on the limit every single time you go out, then i cant believe you will notice 1Kg weight - there will be more difference from track temperature, and tyre tread depth (assuming slicks arent being used)

I guess if youve done everything else possible in the car, setup perfect, etc and your driving is superb with no room for improvement, then the 1KG will make a difference.

cheers

Chris

If for crude arguments sake (and theres no way I will attempt to quantify this accurately, Blatmans contact might have a calc for it) 1 kilo = a 1ms saving per lap based on a short lap then with very close competition its worth the weight saving ;) Removing weight is always worth something but preferably in bigger chunks!

A single example from the many this season was Barry Slingsby at Curborough who was 1ms behind 3rd place runner Paul Edden on the day.

I guess if youve done everything else possible in the car, setup perfect, etc and your driving is superb with no room for improvement, then the 1KG will make a difference.

thats another point we arent at that level so any other factor and in this case weight that can reduce our times is very much needed :D

1 kg for no cost but a bit of hard work is a good deal.

I currently budget at £100 / kg as a go no go rule.

If you can spot reductions like this then maybe there are another 4 Kgs or 14 Kgs somewhere for little or no cost.

1kg of unsprung mass is noticeable.

hi Stu,

i agree with most of whats been said by westfieldman ,its the attention to detail which you find unexpected gains.If you are using for a sprint car ,things like a smaller fuel tank,if your keeping the screen a bag for the screenwash-not the plastic bottle type,acb10`s were good for approx 4kg per corner of unsprung weight saved.

at the end of the day it depends on what you want the car for ,everything in life becomes a compromise

:D

i started with a pinto powered road car started sprinting ,now its a bike engined,slick shod /modified /lightweight (the car is anyway  :p leave it rob...)

upgraditis is a terrible affliction  :down:  :down:

do you think we should get one of those therapy centres set up..

it could be called the betty Ford/vx/honda/Rage/cossie/centre,and could even treat people with magnolia crossflow`s  :devil:

Ta

Barney

and could even treat people with magnolia crossflow`s

I don't think they've actually found a cure for that yet  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  ;)

and could even treat people with magnolia crossflow`s

I don't think they've actually found a cure for that yet  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  ;)

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

YEP,

NO CURE

Can someone pass my pills please  :p

Stu - you don't mention what wheels and tyres you have but you can make a pretty massive saving on unsprung weight.

When I bought the car it had some old Compomotives with Pirelli tyres and they were nearly 20kg each. 13" K&N Minators with Yoko A021's saved about 7kg a corner. Cost £470 less the £200 I got for the old set. Noticeable difference...

Thanks for all the comments

Plenty to consider and play around with  :p  :p

The car is used in class 2B speed series and does track days so it is a compromise with such items as wheels and tyres (13'' ACB 10 for the track and 15'' normal road tyres for sprinting), break discs, aero screen etc etc.

The obvious items such as heater (yep still in for sprinting   :bangshead: ) lightweight hubs, washer bottle etc will be coming out over winter. ;)  ;)

washer bottle etc will be coming out over winter

You need a washer bottle of some description for MOT  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)