Carpets

predawson

For fitting carpets the manual says use velcro but the carpet set came with double sided tape. Which is best?

Wouldn't velcro create a lumpy carpet?

You don't need carpets they only get wet and then smelly once it rains.

:p  :p  :p  :p  :p

But if you are going to fit I would use Velcro or even poppers. Then at least they come out with no trouble.

You don't need carpets they only get wet and then smelly once it rains.

:p  :p  :p  :p  :p

But if you are going to fit I would use Velcro or even poppers. Then at least they come out with no trouble.

Agreed...if you want to line the cockpit, why not try some rubberised matting (mmmm rubber   :devil:  :oops:  :D )?

Oh, once they've been rained on, velcro doesn't let go easy.

Whilst on the subject - how do the seats stand up to getting wet. I plan to fit minimal trim, but wondered if the rain knackers the the seats.

Rain not too good for Leather seats and as for carpets they are for southern softees :0  :0  :p

I was refering to the standard seats not the posey (spelling?) leather ones. I was advised when I ordered the kit to have the vinyl seats- is this right or not? Advise appreciated

John.

Yar, I'll probably use velcro. enterpryse you built an SDV, how did you fit the gear lever gaiter to the carpet? The manual says it is pre-stitched in but it isn't. There is no hole and a separate bit of really nasty vinyl is supplied. this is a really important finishing touch in terms of aesthetics so don't want to screw up.

Cheers.

To offer a solution: Take any material which is easy to work - wood or plastic, and make a frame which goes inside the gaiter and wraps around it. The frame is not visible but clamps down the edges of the gaiter.

I am curious about the handbrake gaiter. I have the same problem. I replace a torn rubber gaiter with a self-made leatherette gaiter. To keep the shape where it meets the carpet, I cut away and used the base of the rubber gaiter. Nut first class, but it will do. I have seen a couple Seven-alikes with chrome or brushed aluminum surrounds, which look pretty nice, but I have not been able to track them down. Anyone have a clue where to get them? I am in Germany, but if I don't find one here this winter, I will resort to ordering from England.

By the way, the opening for the brake lever includes an angle where two propshaft tunnel covers meet. Can a chromed trim be bent without the chrome flaking off?

Apparently Westfield don't fit the gaiter in the carpet due to differences in builds etc. leading to it being in the wrong place. I believe if you loose fit the carpet on the tunnel and cut the hole for the gearlever then send or take the carpet (and gaiter  :p ) to Westfield they will stitch it in FOC.

Might be an idea to call them and confirm.

Thats what they did for me, i had a damaged crash pad so they collect the carpets when they picked that up, saved me the postage.   :t-up: The handbrake gaiter they use isn't that good on mine it doesn't fit the handbrake snug and has been worn away on the underside.